Miniature indoor plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 tiny little clay pots, and I want to plant them. The pots have an internal diameter of about 8 inches (~2.5 inch diameter) and a depth of about 1.5 inches. They have no drainage (they're for baking).

What could I plant in them? The lack of drainage tells me that I should either go for something that likes really dry conditions or something that likes sopping wet conditions.

I live in Colorado, and my first inclination was to keep tiny rock plants (e.g. alpine wildflowers). I am especially interested in native plants, but I'm up for anything.

In addition, I would like to get these set up in the current economic conditions (i.e. everything should be shipped to me). Thus I think I should be growing from seed?

I've been researching some on my own, but I want to know if it's even feasible for me to grow anything in these pots. Some example species I've come across are Rock Jasmine, Lewisia sp. (e.g. Oregon Bitterroot), or perhaps even some really small native cacti?

I don't really keep plants seriously and any guidance would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can grow without drainage holes but its not recommend and it will be something difficult to maintain. I have found ceramic containers that were so pretty but didn't have drainage holes. I just drilled some very small holes in the bottoms and used them as pots instead of ceramic pretties. I have busted a few trying to drill too, so be careful if you drill you own holes.

Ask a Question