Mini Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really like roses, but do not have a big yard to go out and purchase a big rose bush. I really like the mini rose bushes that come potted. The roses bloom to about the size of a quarter and they are pretty. The problem is that everytime I get one, the think dies. Is there any tricks that will help me keep my potted bushes alive? I give them water and sun and not sure what else to do.

Reaction score
Not all rose bushes have to be big and space eating. Beside the minis there are a number of varieties that don't require a lot of space. Your local garden center can help you with that - just bring your measurements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We need more details:) Do you grow your miniature roses in pots or plant them in your garden? What exactly happens? Have you noticed any pests on them? Do you fertilize them?
In my opinion miniature roses are rather easy to grow, they're my favorite plants:)

Reaction score
I agree with Claudine, if you need help with this you really need to give us more details about your roses and the problems you are having with them :) Just let us know what we need to know and we will do our best to help you. I think Claudine is the real expert here when it comes to miniature roses ;)

Reaction score
I would probably say put them in the ground so the roots have more space. And a lot of times even if a regular rose bush if you trim them you can keep them small. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree with Claudine, if you need help with this you really need to give us more details about your roses and the problems you are having with them :) Just let us know what we need to know and we will do our best to help you. I think Claudine is the real expert here when it comes to miniature roses ;)
Haha, I wish!:) I lost one miniature rose a few weeks ago, so I'm definitely not an expert, I had absolutely no idea how to save it:cry:
I have some experience though, because I've been growing roses for more than tree years now, so I if you have any questions, Rosyrain, feel free to ask and I'll try to help you:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just one rose bush in my yard that does not take up much room, just trim it back as it starts to grow larger than you would like for it to be. I keep mine small in this manner.

Reaction score
Haha, I wish!:) I lost one miniature rose a few weeks ago, so I'm definitely not an expert, I had absolutely no idea how to save it:cry:
I have some experience though, because I've been growing roses for more than tree years now, so I if you have any questions, Rosyrain, feel free to ask and I'll try to help you:)

So sorry to hear that :( What happened to your rose exactly? Was it some kind of bug or fungus? or you still don't know what happened?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So sorry to hear that :( What happened to your rose exactly? Was it some kind of bug or fungus? or you still don't know what happened?
Unfortunately, I still don't know, it's an unsolved mystery:( I've never seen any pests on it, fungus wasn't a problem either.
My rose had looked very healthy before it started losing leaves. After some time, all its stems turned brown:cry:. I haven't thrown it away yet, I hope that maybe it will regrow.

Reaction score
Uhm, I'm sure you took really good care of it, but had you pruned it recently before noticing the brown stems??? That would explain the brown stems and the sudden death of your rose (the shears you used and how sharp they were - ie... they did more crushing than cutting).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I did prune it a little, because I had to remove withered flowers. I used the same shears I use for all my roses though. They're rather sharp.
I think that maybe transplanting it to a new pot wasn't a good idea. Or maybe the rose was weaker than it seemed to be:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The roses themselves seem to turn brown and die quickly, and then the leaves also die off. Last one I grew, I found a bunch of little bugs in amongst the plants, and I lost that one soon after. I think they were aphids, but I am no bug expert. I think the first problem may be that I was over watering? But how do you get rid of the bugs before they destroy the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The roses themselves seem to turn brown and die quickly, and then the leaves also die off. Last one I grew, I found a bunch of little bugs in amongst the plants, and I lost that one soon after. I think they were aphids, but I am no bug expert. I think the first problem may be that I was over watering? But how do you get rid of the bugs before they destroy the plant?
Try to wash your roses with water mixed with dish soap, it should help. Most bugs hate it:) This method works great especially for spider mites, but I think that it will scare off aphids too.
My miniature roses need a lot of water. During summer, I water them once every two days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I just got a kind of miniature rose bush that only grows 1-2' tall, but it spreads along the ground. It is called "Pink Drift Rose", and the blossoms are a gorgeous pink, and about the size of a quarter, but it has a zillion little buds all over it, so when they open, it should be almost all pink.
I have a little hilly area beside the driveway, and near the road, and then it slopes down to the street. I wanted something that could drape over the side and down towards the street, look pretty, and still not grow very tall, since I need to be able to look out and check for traffic on the street before backing out of the driveway.
I think this little rose will be perfect there, and I am excited to see it full of blossoms ! I found it at Lowes, and it was half price, so who could resist getting it...
Here is a picture of how it is supposed to look once it blooms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Happyflowerlady, it's a beautiful rose bush!:) I like everything about it. I've never seen a miniature rose that would produce so many flowers at one time. My roses usually have no more than four blossoms. I think that maybe I should prune them more often,
I don't know what happened, but two of my roses don't look too healthy:( They keep losing leaves.

Ask a Question