Mini Orchid Rapidly Dying!

Reaction score
Country
United States
About two or three weeks ago I bought two miniature orchids locally. One is doing quite well under the same circumstances as the other one that is not doing well at all. After I bought them, they stayed in their original pots and moss until the new pots and some miracle grow orchid soil came in. I then transferred, watered, and about a week or so later watered again and used the miracle grow orchid spray on their leaves. However a couple of days ago I noticed a lot of the flowers on one of my orchids were dying and falling off. Now the entire stem is yellowing. I'm not quite sure what would be causing it. I've never owned orchids before but the other one seems to be doing fine. They are situated in a west facing window and not in very direct sunlight. The leaves on the plant don't seem to be dying, just the flowers and one stem so far. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• orchid1.jpeg
    orchid1.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 70
  • orchid2.jpeg
    orchid2.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 68
  • orchid3.jpeg
    orchid3.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
Country
United States
My orchid barely survived when I started buying plants last year. No matter what I would do it would just continue dying.
I have noticed after a year of keeping indoor plants that non of my plants like as much water as I thought. (The only plant that lets me know when it’s thirsty is my pothos, I water it the most frequently). I’m thinking I might have been overwatering mine (even though it was in one of those wick pots that watered itself). I’m tempted to attempt keeping another orchid alive.
It’s odd that only one of your orchids is not doing well. Maybe its roots were damaged during transfer/repotting?
Hopefully you find out! I’ll be following the thread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My orchid barely survived when I started buying plants last year. No matter what I would do it would just continue dying.
I have noticed after a year of keeping indoor plants that non of my plants like as much water as I thought. (The only plant that lets me know when it’s thirsty is my pothos, I water it the most frequently). I’m thinking I might have been overwatering mine (even though it was in one of those wick pots that watered itself). I’m tempted to attempt keeping another orchid alive.
It’s odd that only one of your orchids is not doing well. Maybe it’s roots were damaged during transfer/repotting?
Hopefully you find out! I’ll be following the thread.
I have a friend with the same issue, she's lost several orchids and not been able to figure out why. I'm also thinking it might be something that happened during the transfer. I hope we can both find some answers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
About two or three weeks ago I bought two miniature orchids locally. One is doing quite well under the same circumstances as the other one that is not doing well at all. After I bought them, they stayed in their original pots and moss until the new pots and some miracle grow orchid soil came in. I then transferred, watered, and about a week or so later watered again and used the miracle grow orchid spray on their leaves. However a couple of days ago I noticed a lot of the flowers on one of my orchids were dying and falling off. Now the entire stem is yellowing. I'm not quite sure what would be causing it. I've never owned orchids before but the other one seems to be doing fine. They are situated in a west facing window and not in very direct sunlight. The leaves on the plant don't seem to be dying, just the flowers and one stem so far. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I've had the same problem for years!!!! Fall in love with an orchid at the local nursery or at the grocery store, buy it, bring it home and proceed to watch it die. Beyond frustrating.

I've had "some" luck lately though. I did some research on Pinterest and found lots of good info on how TO and NOT TO water orchids. They were very helpful. I now water no more than every week or so depending on the potting medium. When you buy them at the store they are potted to retain water, which orchids typically do not like as it rots their roots. If that is your medium, check to be sure the roots aren't getting too much water.

I re-pot as soon as I can in a loose bark medium and to water, I just run under the tap soaking the bark but letting the water run out the bottom and sides of the pot. They always look dry! It looks to me like your pot is solid. A typical orchid pot will not be solid so as not to retain water

So while I am by no means an expert (I am still learning too) I would guess that if you take your orchid out of the pot, the roots will be rotted.

Do have a look on Pinterest and I'm sure you will find the help you need to revive your orchid(s) and to keep them healthy. I have one that was on it's death bed, but has now sprouted a new leaf. Hopefully I can get it to bloom in the future!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had the same problem for years!!!! Fall in love with an orchid at the local nursery or at the grocery store, buy it, bring it home and proceed to watch it die. Beyond frustrating.

I've had "some" luck lately though. I did some research on Pinterest and found lots of good info on how TO and NOT TO water orchids. They were very helpful. I now water no more than every week or so depending on the potting medium. When you buy them at the store they are potted to retain water, which orchids typically do not like as it rots their roots. If that is your medium, check to be sure the roots aren't getting too much water.

I re-pot as soon as I can in a loose bark medium and to water, I just run under the tap soaking the bark but letting the water run out the bottom and sides of the pot. They always look dry! It looks to me like your pot is solid. A typical orchid pot will not be solid so as not to retain water

So while I am by no means an expert (I am still learning too) I would guess that if you take your orchid out of the pot, the roots will be rotted.

Do have a look on Pinterest and I'm sure you will find the help you need to revive your orchid(s) and to keep them healthy. I have one that was on it's death bed, but has now sprouted a new leaf. Hopefully I can get it to bloom in the future!

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice! The pot my orchid is in is an orchid pot I bought off of Amazon and it does separate into two pots with the inner one having holes for easy draining. I water mine the same way by running it under tap and soaking the bark. My guess is that it happened during the transfer or the roots were starting to rot when I bought them as they were, like you said, potted for retaining water and thus were dripping wet.:( I will check out what Pinterest has to say. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for your advice! The pot my orchid is in is an orchid pot I bought off of Amazon and it does separate into two pots with the inner one having holes for easy draining. I water mine the same way by running it under tap and soaking the bark. My guess is that it happened during the transfer or the roots were starting to rot when I bought them as they were, like you said, potted for retaining water and thus were dripping wet.:( I will check out what Pinterest has to say. Thank you!
This is the type pot I’ve been using and was referring to. When I water, the water literally runs out the sides and bottom, leaving just a trace on the bark.

Hope you found some good stuff on Pinterest...and don’t give up on the one thats not doing well, it’s good practice learning how to revive them.
A4996032-7209-4AF3-A43B-3FEDDAC8BAF4.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have been rescuing orchids off the discount rack and need to stop. I’m up to seven so obviously have a problem. They will rebloom if given time. The trick for me is to think of them as cactus when considering watering. I keep old used water bottles set aside filled and refilled for watering my plants. Mainly because I got too lazy to walk into the kitchen and get water. This allows chlorine to dissipate from the water somewhat....I think. I use bark gathered on walks and broken into bits for soil because over time I’ve found the commercial mix too fine. Orchid pots or liners are the best. I always use holy liners or holy pots;). The video is excellent

Ask a Question