Milkweed watering?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My outdoor milkweed seem to need watering every 2-3 days. They let me know by getting droopy. I also have milkweed in my screened-in front porch that I watered 2 days ago as well but they seem to only need watering once a week. All of these are in pots. I know gardening in pots requires more watering and I’m sure the outdoor milkweed that receive direct sunlight need more water because of it. I’m just trying to make sure I’m not over watering. I’m scared of root rot. I feel the soil and I’m not an expert at deciphering. It’s not super dry but it’s not super moist. I’m so confused. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

In the pictures I attached, the droopy ones are outdoor in direct sunlight and the non droopy ones are in my front porch. They were all watered two days ago.

Attachments

• D7B43F8A-DE48-484F-93FF-71514BCB36D9.jpeg
    D7B43F8A-DE48-484F-93FF-71514BCB36D9.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 122
  • A152D789-38E8-461C-BCDF-1C2BD43584C7.jpeg
    A152D789-38E8-461C-BCDF-1C2BD43584C7.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's probably the same problem as your tomato plants -- too much direct sun, despite them supposedly needing full sun; I've also noticed that some of my milkweed plants wilt some in direct sun. I usually plant them around larger plants that will give them a little dappled sun in the afternoon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's probably the same problem as your tomato plants -- too much direct sun, despite them supposedly needing full sun; I've also noticed that some of my milkweed plants wilt some in direct sun. I usually plant them around larger plants that will give them a little dappled sun in the afternoon.

Thanks so much for your help! Yeah, I’ll probably leave only a couple of milkweed out at a time and try to cover the pot to prevent it from drying out the soil so much in the heat. I like keeping the milkweed out, the butterflies love them haha. I’ll definitely move my tomatoes in to the porch though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
taturrria have you ever considered getting a shade cloth like the the nurseries use? These are what I use in the hot Summers when it gets in the 90s and 100s. I have 2 different sizes one is 25% and the other is 60% shade. Some people buy PVC pipe and stick both ends in ground and make a temporary shade area in the Summer. Up side down U "shade area". You can get them cut to size for about $20 to $30.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
taturrria have you ever considered getting a shade cloth like the the nurseries use? These are what I use in the hot Summers when it gets in the 90s and 100s. I have 2 different sizes one is 25% and the other is 60% shade. Some people buy PVC pipe and stick both ends in ground and make a temporary shade area in the Summer. Up side down U "shade area". You can get them cut to size for about $20 to $30.

I’m going to look into that! Thank you so much!

Ask a Question