Midnight Snack Tomato Plant Leaves have tan-ish colored veins; brownish, translucent spots, and black spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I recently planted several different tomato plants in 25 inch diameter container pots in my garden using MiracleGro Organic Choice Moisture Control Potting Mix with Compost - 18% Nitrogen, 10% Phosphate, and 12% Potash. I have not fertilized them since transplanting to large pots 2 -3 weeks ago. I water nightly around 8 pm using the shower setting on an adjustable spray nozzle - I don't water the whole plant, just the soil, but some of the bottom leaves do get wet. The plants gets full sun in the heat of San Antonio, TX. Most of them seem to be doing well - growing and getting lots of blooms. There are fire ants in most of the pots, but from what I've read they're more beneficial than hurtful to the plants. Other than that I've seen one grasshopper, but that doesn't mean there aren't other insects that I haven't spotted.

My Indeterminate Bonnie Midnight Snack tomato plant has grown tall and has over 30 blooms on it; however, I just noticed that some of the leaves have tan-ish colored veins; brownish, translucent spots; and black spots. Only a few of the leaves have this, but I'm afraid it will take over the plant if I don't resolve the problem. Most of the damaged leaves are at the bottom of the plant, but there are a few damaged ones in the middle and top. Am I watering them too llittle or too much or is there a lack of nutrition or is it insects or some disease? I'm fairly new to gardening and am unsure of how to fix this. I attached some pics. Your help is appreciated!
MidnightSnackTomatoLeaves.jpg
MidnightSnackTomatoPlant1.jpg
MidnightSnackTomatoPlant2.jpg
MiracleGroOrganicChoice1.jpg
MiracleGroOrganicChoice2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I recently planted several different tomato plants in 25 inch diameter container pots in my garden using MiracleGro Organic Choice Moisture Control Potting Mix with Compost - 18% Nitrogen, 10% Phosphate, and 12% Potash. I have not fertilized them since transplanting to large pots 2 -3 weeks ago. I water nightly around 8 pm using the shower setting on an adjustable spray nozzle - I don't water the whole plant, just the soil, but some of the bottom leaves do get wet. The plants gets full sun in the heat of San Antonio, TX. Most of them seem to be doing well - growing and getting lots of blooms. There are fire ants in most of the pots, but from what I've read they're more beneficial than hurtful to the plants. Other than that I've seen one grasshopper, but that doesn't mean there aren't other insects that I haven't spotted.

My Indeterminate Bonnie Midnight Snack tomato plant has grown tall and has over 30 blooms on it; however, I just noticed that some of the leaves have tan-ish colored veins; brownish, translucent spots; and black spots. Only a few of the leaves have this, but I'm afraid it will take over the plant if I don't resolve the problem. Most of the damaged leaves are at the bottom of the plant, but there are a few damaged ones in the middle and top. Am I watering them too llittle or too much or is there a lack of nutrition or is it insects or some disease? I'm fairly new to gardening and am unsure of how to fix this. I attached some pics. Your help is appreciated!View attachment 67518View attachment 67519View attachment 67520View attachment 67521View attachment 67522
Your plant is in a weakened and stunted condition due to very little nutrition. Miracle Grow products are terrible. This so called "organic compost" is 50% peat moss. Peat moss has no nutrional value. It just retains water and lowers Ph. If you read the label closely you will see that the NPK is 0.18 - 0.10 - 0.12. These numbers are very very low in NPK. When buying this stuff you thought it read 18-10-12.
Your plant is beginning to show early blight, a common yet destructive fungal disease all of us here in the San Antonio area fight every year. Go get some Hasta Grow Liquid Fertilizer and use it everytime you water and your plant will catch up. Just remove the infected leaves and stems as they occur is about all you can do at this point. Prevention is what really helps when Early Blight is present.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your plant is in a weakened and stunted condition due to very little nutrition. Miracle Grow products are terrible. This so called "organic compost" is 50% peat moss. Peat moss has no nutrional value. It just retains water and lowers Ph. If you read the label closely you will see that the NPK is 0.18 - 0.10 - 0.12. These numbers are very very low in NPK. When buying this stuff you thought it read 18-10-12.
Your plant is beginning to show early blight, a common yet destructive fungal disease all of us here in the San Antonio area fight every year. Go get some Hasta Grow Liquid Fertilizer and use it everytime you water and your plant will catch up. Just remove the infected leaves and stems as they occur is about all you can do at this point. Prevention is what really helps when Early Blight is present.
Thanks so much! Here I thought I was buying good soil. Ugh!

Ask a Question