Melon Flower-buds not Blooming

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi, how r u all, What Causes the Buds of watermelon & melon to Not Bloom Out? The male flower buds of watermelon & melon have been appearing for last month but not blooming & bud size is small:mad:. Moreover melon buds turn yellow & fall off:cry:. What is the reason? If some one has the solution so kindly tell me. Thanking u in anticipaiton. Waiting for your reply.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've found my melons like it slightly more shady, but I live in zone 10, where it's very hot and dry. What zone are you?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You may need to hand pollinate the plant, especially if bees are scarce.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You may need to hand pollinate the plant, especially if bees are scarce.
Please try to understand! Kindly Read my Thread with full attention. "What Causes the Buds of watermelon & melon to Not Bloom Out? The male flower buds of watermelon & melon have been appearing for last month but not blooming & bud size is small. Moreover melon buds turn yellow & fall off."

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I've found my melons like it slightly more shady, but I live in zone 10, where it's very hot and dry. What zone are you?
By the way, i live in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan, where the temperature is 100-110 F in these days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With ambient temperatures that extreme the root zones of the plant are more than likely around 130F+. I suspect that during transpiration of water to the leaf stoma that the blooms are being deprived of moisture. You can alleviate this somewhat by mulching around the base of the plant and cooling the underlying soil. But in reality 110F temps are a bit much even for watermelons which like the heat

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank You Chuck
Hi, how r u all, What Causes the Buds of watermelon & melon to Not Bloom Out? The male flower buds of watermelon & melon have been appearing for last month but not blooming & bud size is small:mad:. Moreover melon buds turn yellow & fall off:cry:. What is the reason? If some one has the solution so kindly tell me. Thanking u in anticipaiton. Waiting for your reply.
I did read your thread and understood, which is why I said mine like shade, because it's so hot where I live. Also, if there are no pollinators (bees or birds), that could cause the melon's growth to be stunted (or die).

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By the way, i live in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan, where the temperature is 100-110 F in these days.
It's not quite 100 here yet, but it gets around 115 here in the summer. It's not a Pakistan desert...but that's pretty hot. I would also try a solar shade.

Ask a Question