Medlar tree advice

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi all, I have a baby medlar tree that I've grown from a seed and it's looking pretty unhealthy, so I'm looking for advice on how to make it healthy again.

It was originally in a spot without much sun (Barcelona) so we've just moved it to get more light. But it's getting brown around the edges, and now it's starting to look a bit leggy (dropping it's bottom leaves) so I'm worried about its health. It also looks like it's being eaten by a bug, so this morning I have sprayed it with pest spray.

Does anyone have advice for reinvigorating the poor guy? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
Spain
tempImagemuKCVc.jpg
tempImagehz5VR1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
I did a quick search for you, and the Royal Horticultural Society would seem to have a good article that is a primer on growing a medlar. Of particular note, are the suggestion to fertilise the plant in early spring and that the plant is easily damaged by wind. Now, if I had to guess, it would seem your medlar has a fungal infection. The RHS also has an article on tree rust and I know that we treated fungal infections on roses (medlars are in the same family as roses) with a spray bottle containing household soap and water, so that may work for you. Just be mindful not to spray during the heat of the day as you'll damage the leaves further (maybe in the evening after the sun has set since it'll be hotter in Spain than here?).

Last edited:

Ask a Question