Meconopsis query

Reaction score
Could anyone confirm or otherwise if this is Meconopsis horridula? Been looking on google & I'm not quite convinced. There seems to be some variation on petal formation. Thanks

Mec.hor-.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm that's a tricky one. Could it be Meconopsis Prattii instead?

Reaction score
Thanks Becky - when I looked it up I found that M. prattii has been grown in Scotland as M. horridula for 50 years! Another ref was to M. Prattii horridula... A fine recipe for confusion. I'll delve a bit more. The pictures on google are very variable. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reaction score
I love that plant, pretty flower yet protected by thorns. This is my first time ever seeing this species. I think I will look more into it, thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be good to see more sharp, photos, both of the overall habit of the plant, and also of the floral parts.

The genus Meconopsis is now sometimes included within the genus Papaver, but in either case, there are many species of Himalayan Blue Poppies. Furthermore, there are a number of hybrid forms in cultivation, and the plant pictured in the OP is not even necessarily a pure species.

That being said, the distinction between Meconopsis prattii and Meconopsis horridula is distinct, according to The Flora of China.
Meconopsis prattii has cauline leaves (leaves coming off the stem), like the plant pictured in the OP. M. horridula only produces basal leaves (leaves coming form the base of the plant).

Reaction score
Country
United States
True Meconopsis horridula is very rare in cultivation, but there is group of hybrids that is often incorrectly labelled as M. horridula.
A better name for this group is Meconopsis x setifera. These hybrids are of various mixed parentage with Meconopsis prattii.
As such, they will have a wide variety of differing traits, including variable spination.

Ask a Question