Mature kanzan cherry panic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much deliberation and cost I just took delivery of two mature prunus kanzan cherry trees. The only trees in my garden. I chose them because I had admired their large spread and rounded appearance. The trees arrived and despite being about 25 feet and relatively mature (maybe 10 to 15 years?) they have no spread and are almost completely upright. My poor gardener explained patiently to me that this was simply because they have been grown in a commercial nursery with limited space and the branches will drop and spread in time. However I am looking for some comfort and wonder if anyone can help me on the following :

1 will these trees always be vase shaped ? I had bought them thinking they were wide fat spreading trees From my reading online it's not clear whether it was always be vase shaped or they are simply vase shaped when younger

2 what is a reasonable estimate how long it might take for the tree to spread and drop the branches ? Am I looking at a few years or 5 or a decade given its already mature ?

no ones fault but my own but I'm so gutted

thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your Gardener is correct It will become less columnar and spread out in time you should start to see it spreading within a couple of years as soon as they have got its feed in and roots are spreading, they should spread with them. They like well drained soil. You would find it vary difficult to buy them with the spread you desire. Just be patient and they will do there thing(y)

Ask a Question