Masks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As we're likely to be wearing them for some months, my wife bought me a Proskins motorcycle mask from one of her shopping channels.
is a black tubular stretchy lightweight mask about a foot in length. You can just pull it over your head before you go out and wear it around your kneck. Then every time you go into a shop you can pull it up over your nose and down again when you leave it.
It beats messing about with masks with bands around your ears, that you put on and take off when you go into different shops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There was an e-mail advising about a comment asking about cleaning them, but it's disappeared.

I've actually got two. They are washable and you can spray them with a sanitiser.

They are actually called snoods, but they are the same as ones worn by motorcyclists under their helmets.

P1040408.JPG

These are from Idealworld's web site. They're £9.99 and made from a soft lycra material.

461851_STANDARD__HEA_20200721.jpg

461851_STANDARD__TEA_20200721_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @Sean Regan - I thought they were supposed to be three layers ? One of our lovely helpful neighbours came round the other day with a couple of masks for us - her sister in law makes them. Snazzy design, and baby wipes to cut up and use for the third layer (two material layer ''pockets'') The thing is we may not even use them - we haven`t been anywhere for six months :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @Sean Regan - I thought they were supposed to be three layers ? One of our lovely helpful neighbours came round the other day with a couple of masks for us - her sister in law makes them. Snazzy design, and baby wipes to cut up and use for the third layer (two material layer ''pockets'') The thing is we may not even use them - we haven`t been anywhere for six months :rolleyes:

The regulations just say you must use a face covering, it doesn't stipulate what that should be. I think these are better than a mask as there's no gaps around the edges as it contours itself to your face.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The regulations just say you must use a face covering, it doesn't stipulate what that should be. I think these are better than a mask as there's no gaps around the edges as it contours itself to your face.
Correct. I have a few types, medical paper kind, cloth kind. and am considering a large head ban. But I am quick at the food store. Also at all Amish markets no one wears one. At home and in my garden of course I don't have one on.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland

The layers are to give full safety from the virus. Stretchy means less dense and thus more "open" to virus as the material "opens", . Hence also the disposable inner liner. If you look at the medical masks they do not cling. When we explored the knitted ones, we made sure there was then a double lining and a pocket for a disposable liner. Baby wipes are excellent. There are many sites explaining the structure that gives best protection and why. Virus particles are tiny. I would go for the best possible protection.

It is personal choice; and no need to move the loops. Just what you are happy is giving folk around you maximum protection.

I only wore when I was en route to hospital and on the way home as like you I am housebound/cocooned .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The layers are to give full safety from the virus. Stretchy means less dense and thus more "open" to virus as the material "opens", . Hence also the disposable inner liner. If you look at the medical masks they do not cling. When we explored the knitted ones, we made sure there was then a double lining and a pocket for a disposable liner. Baby wipes are excellent. There are many sites explaining the structure that gives best protection and why. Virus particles are tiny. I would go for the best possible protection.

It is personal choice; and no need to move the loops. Just what you are happy is giving folk around you maximum protection.

I only wore when I was en route to hospital and on the way home as like you I am housebound/cocooned .

From what I've read, the masks are more about preventing you from infecting other people, rather than preventing personal infection.

My whole point was that as we are now required to wear a mask when entering shops, these are ideal for people like me who are only going to wear one, if required by law.

Until now, I've just kept to social distancing, using the hand sanitisers when entering shops and "spraying everything" that comes through our front door including me!

There's only so much I'm willing to do, or worry about.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
From what I've read, the masks are more about preventing you from infecting other people, rather than preventing personal infection.

My whole point was that as we are now required to wear a mask when entering shops, these are ideal for people like me who are only going to wear one, if required by law.

Until now, I've just kept to social distancing, using the hand sanitisers when entering shops and "spraying everything" that comes through our front door inc luding me!

There's only so much I'm willing to do, or worry about.

As a matter of info; I chatted with professional mask makers last night.

The buzz words are PERMEABLE and POROUS. If a material like the one you refer to , is stretchy then it is ineffective against the tiny droplets of virus. So it needs a non porous lining; panty liners are perfect .

I would wear armour plating to protect others and myself. Period.
For sheer love. We have lost loved ones to covid. Whatever the law says.

Over and out from me; bad news so can barely see for tears. Please take care. Signing out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have always practiced washing my hands often, and keeping my hands off my face, and not kissing strangers. At the food store they are now disinfecting the carts after each use, if you touch the cart and lick your palms then your asking for germs to enter your body (an example) your skin is a natural barrier to the germs and viruses. I like how when I food shop, we all are wearing masks, so I can pass gas and know that no one smells it, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have always practiced washing my hands often, and keeping my hands off my face, and not kissing strangers. At the food store they are now disinfecting the carts after each use, if you touch the cart and lick your palms then your asking for germs to enter your body (an example) your skin is a natural barrier to the germs and viruses. I like how when I food shop, we all are wearing masks, so I can pass gas and know that no one smells it, right?

I too have never been in the habit of "kissing strangers," I think it can be deemed as a sexual assault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddiehah

Latest Threads