Martha Stewart organic seeds

Reaction score
I saw Martha Stewart organic vegetable seeds at Home Depot. I figure it's seeds from organic plants but then I wonder how can I be sure. Are they worth the money? If I am to grow something like bell peppers from the seeds after purchasing it at the grocery store and not use harmful pesticides would they still be considered organic?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Anything with Martha's name attached to it has the price raised because her name is attached. If you want organic seeds, order from a reputable supplier. "Organic" is the way a plant is raised, so if you want to save bell pepper seeds from the grocery, go ahead. You can raise the peppers organically, which involves natural fertilizers and no chemical herbicides, as well as no chemical pesticides.
"Harmful pesticides"--pesticides are meant to be harmful to harmful insects. I use garlic spray, soap solution, and milky spore as pesticides. All these are fine for the environment and don't leave a harmful residue on vegetables. I admit they are also cheaper . . . .

Reaction score
I would try www.edenbrothers.com for organic vegetable and herb seeds. If a company uses the term "organic" then they must be certified by the USDA. The seeds are more expensive because the farms that they are raised in have to be organic for 3 years to call their farm and their seeds organic. By purchasing organic seeds, you are contributing to the larger picture of encouraging organic farming. Which means, you are growing organic, AND you are supporting larger farms growing organic. Its important where and to whom you spend your money.

Reaction score
You know we can never be too sure. Has anyone ever tried drying and saving your own seeds from your crop? I save watermelon and seeds from other melons. I save dried bean seeds and other seeds. Most of the time it works. I mean its worth the try anyway.

Reaction score
I recently heard that in time we will no longer have organic seeds because they will all be altered. Has anyone here heard about this? I mean even to try and save your seeds will be a problem because the fruit that we are eating already has chemicals in it. This is difficult!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Definition of "organic" according the Merriam-Webster dictionary: a (1) : of, relating to, or derived from living organisms <organic evolution> (2) : of, relating to, yielding, or involving the use of food produced with the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without employment of chemically formulated fertilizers, growth stimulants, antibiotics, or pesticides <organic farming> <organic produce>

If you buy certified organic produce and save the seeds, you will have "organic" seeds to plant. After World War II there was a real push for agriculture to increase production to feed the world's hungry (so much destruction, so many people displaced, starvation was a real fact for many, especially in Europe). Chemical companies, seed producers, and farmers stepped up production by spraying, fertilizing, and using newly developed varieties of food crops.

However, people still saved the seeds from crops their grandfathers and great-grandfathers had grown. That is why we still have heirloom vegetables, virgin prairies, etc. So, I think the "we will no longer have organic seeds because they will all be altered." is scare tactics promulgated by those whose glass is always half empty and like thunderstorms better than sunshine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Check out Burpee seeds they clam to be GMO and chemical free. I can not say for sure they are but if what they say is true I'm going to try them. I still save seeds year to year to insure there GMO and chemical free

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
One of my cousins declared that he was at a garden center where some of the vegetable seeds were labeled as Organic Seeds. He told me he had not heard of Organic Seeds before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JittyJohnser

Latest Threads