Marcotting lemon, lime and other citrus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We used to have a prolific lemon tree (actually a plant) that we tried to marcot so we can have successors since it is a good breed. We used plastic to wrap a small branch with soil inside. When the branch produces some roots, it can be cut and planted to be a new plant. We had about 4 of those marcotted and they are pretty fast to adjust to the ground. In 2 weeks of planting, the marcotted lemon were already on their own with new leaves.

Take note, we didn't know that marcotting a plant would make it refrain from fruiting. That prolific mother plant refused to bear lemons for almost a year. That's the price you pay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol..it is like you take away her babies and she was mad! Has she forgiven you yet and bear fruits now? In any case, I thought lemon must grow from seeds, but now I learn a new way. I wonder if we can do the marcotting with other plants.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
That's a shame!

At least you learnt from the action and we all here have learnt from you.

Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Air layering or marcotting had nothing to do with non-fruiting. Most fruit trees will not produce a large crop two years in a row.

Ask a Question