Maples haven't sprouted yet, why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last year my maple died a few days after sprouting due to a nutrient deficiency so I added fruit and vegetable scraps and leaves to turn into compost with the help of worms. I am pretty sure all the worms have died last winter.

But this year is ideal for growing maples. The seeds have been stratified, the soil is nutrient-rich, the weather is warm, lots of rain and sun, they should be sprouting now.

But it doesn't look like any of them have taken root much less sprouted. I checked to see if the seed took the majority of the space within the papery skin and it did, a sign that it is a good seed.

I planted them last Friday so they have had 3 days to sprout and none look like they have taken root. When I planted the acorn, I knew it had taken root when I couldn't move it at all. These maple seeds I can still move freely.

Why are they not taking root yet? Warm weather, rain, sunshine, having been stratified over the winter, seed taking up most of the space within the papery skin, nutrient rich soil, that should all encourage them to take root but it hasn't.

Am I doing something wrong? I did give them a deep watering around where the seeds were the day I planted them and since then the soil has been moist(partly from ice having thawed out and partly from rain). I also put them in a sunny spot because I know that shade slows down the time it takes to take root and grow at least for maples. And I didn't plant them too deep. I planted them at a depth where the seed is covered but most of the wing is exposed. I haven't bothered tearing the wings off the seeds.

I have never had this long of a delay except when I planted a maple seed in the shade(which was the same 4th attempt as the one with the nutrient deficiency). All my other attempts before then have had the maple seed sprouting within 1-2 days of being planted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Run-off from the ice is keeping your temperature too low. Give it some time to warm a little...

Ask a Question