Maple tree ready to fall on house?

Jes

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought a home with a gorgeous maple too close to the house. The trunk looks really funky. I’m afraid this indicates large branches will be falling soon. Any advice is appreciated!
56D8029C-DBC1-4DEB-9B3D-511EDB153E7E.jpeg
82369E92-8813-4D2D-9FC2-B3D1ECE29BAE.jpeg
F7B85167-52B3-428D-8B32-3EF53F867858.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

My first advice would be to check your property insurance. Not just whether you are covered as far as property damage, but also public liability.

It's obviously a very old tree and you need some professional advice from a tree surgeon as to its condition. Not anything anyone can reliably determine from a photograph. However, if an expert suggests the condition is such that it should come down for safety reasons and you don't take the advice, then that increases your liability if it does and damages anyone else or their property.

A lot will depend on the condition of the roots and the core of the tree. If it's OK, removing some of those lower branches, may make it less susceptable to winds when it's in full leaf. It's usually the wind that blows over trees, they rarely fall over by themselves unless they are in really bad condition.

Jes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

My first advice would be to check your property insurance. Not just whether you are covered as far as property damage, but also public liability.

It's obviously a very old tree and you need some professional advice from a tree surgeon as to its condition. Not anything anyone can reliably determine from a photograph. However, if an expert suggests the condition is such that it should come down for safety reasons and you don't take the advice, then that increases your liability if it does and damages anyone else or their property.

A lot will depend on the condition of the roots and the core of the tree. If it's OK, removing some of those lower branches, may make it less susceptable to winds when it's in full leaf. It's usually the wind that blows over trees, they rarely fall over by themselves unless they are in really bad condition.
Thanks, Sean! I’ve tried contacting a few arborist but have yet to hear back. Fortunately i don’t have to worry about other properties as I live on 5 acres and this tree happens to be in the middle of it - but next to the house. I guess assumed the puckering around the base of branches indicated a weak branch. I will definitely consider removing the branches if need be. Thanks again for your insight!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Jes. get a licensed arborist to look at that tree. It needs some pruning. Don't take the word of some dude with a chain saw, or someone who says they "know about trees." Licensed is the operative word here.
From your last photo it seems the tree overhangs the roadway. Your house, parked cars, this could be a big liability for you. Please find out quickly if the tree needs pruning or to be removed.

Jes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jes. get a licensed arborist to look at that tree. It needs some pruning. Don't take the word of some dude with a chain saw, or someone who says they "know about trees." Licensed is the operative word here.
From your last photo it seems the tree overhangs the roadway. Your house, parked cars, this could be a big liability for you. Please find out quickly if the tree needs pruning or to be removed.
I have one stopping out tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jes

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a very special tree. I thought mine were large, but that is twice the diameter of ours.
It is large! I will measure the diameter tomorrow. Here is a partial pic from last fall. Fingers crossed it’s healthy enough to save
95308927-91DE-416B-AE0D-CED61D2F66C0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I totally agree, make sure he/she is an ISA certified arborist and gives you a report on letterhead. https://www.isa-arbor.com/Credentials/Types-of-Credentials/ISA-Certified-Arborist

My city wouldn't allow me to cut down a tree without paying tons of money, because of a city ordinance, so I got a report from a certified arborist, showing that the tree was a hazard to my house and the powerlines. Long story short, I got it cut down without paying all kinds of money to the city.

Jes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the video, roadrunner! So glad you won the debate and were able to save the money. What a pain though!

The arborist is ISA certified and will either be over joyed or annoyed with me I have 5 overgrown acres (neglected for 20-30 years, most trees never pruned) and he has agreed to walk around the property and tell me the health/school me. We will be removing trees this weekend so I’m a little anxious to find out which I should remove due to health and which should stay.

Ask a Question