Maple sapling problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a maple sapling that was planted in April 2021. It has developed a problem whereby the leaves are getting red/ brown along the edges, and holes are appearing. It is not making any new leaves, but doesn't appear to be dying. I do not think it is tarspot, and I do not see any insects on it. I have provided a couple of pictures to aid in problem identification.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_070445.jpg
    IMG_20210813_070445.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210813_070502.jpg
    IMG_20210813_070502.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

The damage to the leaves is not a clear sign of any serious pathogen. It may ultimately stem from the heat and water stresses that a newly planted sapling will experience. At this point, as the tree begins to enter dormancy in Fall, just practice basic precautionary sanitation by raking up its fallen leaves and disposing of them away from the plant. I would just bury them in my compost.

In Spring, see how the tree leafs out. If it looks healthy and vigorous, there is likely nothing to worry about. Also remember that by late Summer and Fall some of the older leaves will likely again look worn and discolored, though not necessarily seriously diseased.

Ask a Question