Mantis rototiller won't start

Reaction score
Country
United States
New carburetor new fuel line new rope and my Mantis tiller still won't start. Looking for suggestions on what to do next

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
New carburetor new fuel line new rope and my Mantis tiller still won't start. Looking for suggestions on what to do next

It seems like you really took it apart for a major revamp. Fuel and return lines can get swapped, the carb is new but the gaskets? Fancy new plug or old oem? Does it even try to fire?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My suggestion would be to hit it with a shot of starter fluid. After replacing carb, etc. often needs a little priming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Everything Is new
Then i would retrace order. I personally have swapped inlets and outlets and found myself perplexed until that "Doh" moment. If each thing you changed has 2 outcomes, good or bad, 6 changes have a 6 to the second power or a one in twelve chance of being correct as a component in a sequence, so just revisit each part of your process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
To trouble shoot you do the simplest first. That is check for spark, so remove the spark plug, then ground the threaded portion to the head with the plug wire re-connected and crank. When you get older you'll -- see -- why I do this in dim light. If there is a blue spark, the next step is to crank a few times to purge any of that nasty crap you purchased and squirted in the carburetor, then try a 1/4 teaspoon or less of gasoline in the carburetor throat.

One may be surprised how many folks failed to follow start procedure and turn the kill switch to run.:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's either spark or gas. You can add a very little gas down the plug hole ( put a straw in the gas can and cover the end with your finger to hold a small amount in) then put the plug back in and try or you can shoot some starter fluid into the carb (first remove the air filter) if it starts and stops then try it again if it starts this will tell you that at least you have spark. Also take the gas cap off it may be plugged and creating a vacuum. Did you put the new carb on? Did you adjust it? Have you installed a new spark plug? When you take the plug out after trying to start make sure the plug is dry.

Ask a Question