Mangosteen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I bought some mangosteens this afternoon because for some strange reason, they were very cheap. I was wondering if anyone here is growing this fruit tree? This is how the fruit looks like.

Mangosteen.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have only had the juice. I don't think they grow in the area I live in the states. It gets really cold during the winter and the Mangosteen is a tropical plant.

Reaction score
Unfortunately although I'd love to grow a mangosteen tree - not only for the fruit but because they are extremely attractive trees too - they don't grow where I live - in fact - although I've often had the juice - it would be a rare thing to find a mangosteen fruit here and if - like I was once - lucky enough to find the fruit - they are quite the opposite of cheap - as they are generally something like $ 20 a pound - which to me is way, way too expensive for fruit.

As not everyone may be familiar with this gorgeous looking fruit and therefore possibly curious to know more - here is a link - which I hope will be helpful as well as useful - as it contains not only interesting information regarding the fruits but also how they are grown too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_mangosteen

Reaction score
I bought some mangosteens this afternoon because for some strange reason, they were very cheap. I was wondering if anyone here is growing this fruit tree? This is how the fruit looks like.

Mangosteen.jpg

What a beautiful picture :love: The fruit isn't bad either :LOL: To be honest I have never ever seen mangosteen tree or fruit in my entire life until now, but I have heard about mangosteen juice! Never bought it tho, but it's said to help with a lot health issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These fruits look so weird and cute! They remind me of candies:) How big are they? What do they taste like? Can you eat them whole? Are they sweet? I know I ask a lot of questions, but it's the first time when I hear of mangosteens and I want to learn more about them:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Oh the picture isn't mine! I just got it from Google!

In fact, it's too late to take a picture when I posted then because I ate all the mangosteen fruits.

I didn't know that they are expensive in other countries. I guess I am fortunate because I live in a tropical country.

You only eat the white part. The violet part is very bitter. It tastes very sour though I was informed that there are varieties that are very sweet. They are not that big. Perhaps as big as kiwis. :)

Reaction score
it's the first time when I hear of mangosteens and I want to learn more about them:)

As you would like to know more about mangosteens - think you may find the link in the post just one up from yours may be helpful in that respect - as not only does it contain lots of interesting information regarding the fruit and its uses but also how and where they are grown too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Helagumamela - I love sour fruits! Mangosteens sound perfect for me:) I've never seen them in my country, but I'll definitely try to buy them as soon as I go on a trip abroad.
Gata Montes - thank you for sharing this link:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Helagumamela - I love sour fruits! Mangosteens sound perfect for me:) I've never seen them in my country, but I'll definitely try to buy them as soon as I go on a trip abroad.
Gata Montes - thank you for sharing this link:)

I hope you that you will really love mangosteens! As what the other members said, mangosteen juice is also very delicious. You can even try looking for mangosteen candies! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope you that you will really love mangosteens! As what the other members said, mangosteen juice is also very delicious. You can even try looking for mangosteen candies! :)
I will definitely look for them, I love all kinds of candies:D
Today, I did some research and I fond out that mangosteen juice is available in a few health food online stores in my country. Apparently, this fruit has many health benefits:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I will definitely look for them, I love all kinds of candies:D
Today, I did some research and I fond out that mangosteen juice is available in a few health food online stores in my country. Apparently, this fruit has many health benefits:)

Yes! I think it is being studied for it's anti-cancer properties. :)

Reaction score
These fruits look so weird and cute! They remind me of candies:) How big are they? What do they taste like? Can you eat them whole? Are they sweet? I know I ask a lot of questions, but it's the first time when I hear of mangosteens and I want to learn more about them:)

Have you heard of Soursop/Guyabano? I can think of fruits similar to Mangosteen but they're all tropical so you probably don't know them either XD

It's a very creamy fruit, similar to Lychees but fleshier and creamier. If you ever end up in Thailand or the Philippines, try and find some :) Especially in September, when they are dirt cheap and freshest. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you heard of Soursop/Guyabano? I can think of fruits similar to Mangosteen but they're all tropical so you probably don't know them either XD

It's a very creamy fruit, similar to Lychees but fleshier and creamier. If you ever end up in Thailand or the Philippines, try and find some :) Especially in September, when they are dirt cheap and freshest. :D
No, I haven't tried them either:p I don't even know what they look like. Seriously, I feel that I should know more about the world around me.
A few years ago, I ate canned Lychees. They tasted very weird, but I liked them:)
My father visited Thailand two weeks ago, I wish I had told him to buy me some mangosteens!:(

Reaction score
Oh! I just remembered. If you have been able to taste cocoa fruit (The flesh, not the seeds used to make chocolate), Mangosteen is kind of similar to it, but much fleshier. :)

Ask a Question