Mango trees

Reaction score
Hello!
I love Bowen Mango's, I have two trees in the yard, but I very much keep them under control they are only 5ft high, but bare enough fruit for me and my family every year..
Does anyone else?

Reaction score
I love Bowen mangos!! Did you buy the tree or grew it from a seed? I'd love to plant a couple of those trees in my own house! I'd actually like to have fruit trees in my yard only... it would be nice to consume some pesticide free fruits during the year. Not sure about planting vegetables tho!

Reaction score
I love Bowen mangos!! Did you buy the tree or grew it from a seed? I'd love to plant a couple of those trees in my own house! I'd actually like to have fruit trees in my yard only... it would be nice to consume some pesticide free fruits during the year. Not sure about planting vegetables tho!
I grew them from seed... I wouldn't grow such a tree any other way, and know where the seed has come from.

They grow like crazy in their first 6 months so you have to be really careful to keep them under control.

Reaction score
Uhm, you are right! I guess we must be really aware of where the seeds we plant come from. GMO seeds seem to be everywhere nowadays... they seem so impossible to avoid, so I really understand your concerns! Where did you get your mango seeds from?!?!

Reaction score
I would be interested in planting a mango and too would like to know where you did get the seeds. I did not realize they were so prolific and that they grew so fast. That is fascinating to hear. I am not sure what a Bowen is, so I will have to check in to that more.

Reaction score
I've been trying to grow mango's from seed. There are tons of videos on how to on youtube. Mines has started rooting but it has not put out a leaf yet. I am so excited about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never liked eating mangos, but I find these trees really pretty and I would gladly grow them for their looks. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's too cold for them here, in my area.
Is it possible to grow a mango tree in a container?:)

Reaction score
I now how two mangos that have small roots and no leaves. I also have one that has burst open like a clam shell. I guess I am impatient but I am wondering if I am doing this correctly. I've been waiting for about a month.

Reaction score
My seeds came from fruit of a local grower, I'm 99% sure they are not GMO given the tree the seeds came from has been in business for 50+ years..

I planted 8 seeds, let them grow to 6 weeks then chose the strongest to plant in my own yard, gave the rest away.. The others have done well too, I am quite happy with my trees.

Reaction score
Awesome :) I always worry about that, so many GMOs around! It's great you found a local grower who only sells ''real'' seeds. I hope I can find a place where to buy non-GMO seeds in the Netherlands :)

I hope you can share some pictures of your trees in the future. Looking forward to seeing them!!!

Reaction score
I wish more than anything I could grow mango trees. I live in the cold Rocky Mountains, I can't even get a seed to sprout in my house. We are trying to get a greenhouse up so maybe I will try it then. Any pointers for someone who wants to grow one in the snow and cold?

Reaction score
I have to start all over again all of my mango's rotted. I hate unsuccessful attempts. Well I am not quitter i've already started three more seeds and look forward to seeing better results this time. Does anyone have a fool proof plan?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I really became fond of mangoes when living in Miami, where some of the best mangoes in the world are grown. Hayden and Kent are probably the best for western tastes, but some people favor the varieties with a distinct piney taste. If you live in an area where you can grow them outdoors it is best to go with a grafted plant from a reputable nursery. hen was young we lived in Sumter, S.C. for a few years and mother planted one outside. About 10 years later we visited some neighbors and the tree was still growing. How that tree had adapted I don't understand.

Reaction score
I live in a tropical climate and we grow lots of tropical fruits here. Living here in the US Virgin Islands mango trees are grown all over the place. There's a specific season for the mangoes to start bearing. They only bear mostly around summer time. Right now my mango trees are fully loaded and ready to ripe. I do lots of stuff with them because they're so many.

I will either gave some away, make mango juice, mango jam, mango pie, mango smoothy, mango extract, etc. You name it! Mangoe trees are not hard to grow. They can be grown from the seeds. I usually wait for the seeds to dry then plant them in pots and water them everyday.

When they reach a certain height I then transfer them into the ground. I know this might sound silly but they can grow by throwing the seeds anywhere in your backyard. It's true!!!

These were picked fresh yesterday from one of my trees... :D

mango.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question