Mango tree

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi just joined the community.
I am from South Africa and I need some advice on how to care for a young mango tree. I recently bought a mango tree from the local nursery and have replanted it. I transplanted it about 3 months before the start of winter. It started growing nicely and has formed newly branched leaves. The problem is that the leaves of the lower part of the tree is starting to turn brown and i am not sure what the cause is. Could it be because of the colder weather (10- 22 deg celcius) or possibly overwatering. I have attached some pics of the leaves. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
20170714_143227.jpg

Attachments

• 20170714_143213.jpg
    20170714_143213.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 20170714_143202.jpg
    20170714_143202.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 248
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi @Aggie Welcome to the forums. Mangoes will do okay above 4 degrees C. So the temperature doesn't seem to be a problem. Mangoes require consistently moist soil and should be watered regularly. You could be overdoing the water though, because they do best with good drainage. Is the soil nicely moist? or is it saturated?
I would dig a hole about as deep as you planted the tree and pour water into the hole to see if the water is just sitting or if it is percolating nicely downward. If the water isn't draining well, you might want to transplant the tree again, this time digging a hole twice as deep as the tree root ball and amending the extra depth with sand/grit/soil to improve the drainage. The tree will need fertilizing 3 times a year with a good nitrogen mix although you haven't had the tree long enough for this to be your problem. They also prefer full sun.

Ask a Question