Mango seedling care tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I've been germinating this mango tree for 2-3 weeks in a paper towel and just planted it yesterday. Awhile ago I was complaining on the forums how It was rooting but it wasn't sprouting, but overnight the mango tree just popped up and I realized it was growing from inside the cracked part of the seed, it was actually really big. So as I said, I planted it yesterday and took this first picture on the day I planted it. As you can see it is still kinda bent over but today it is sorted rising up in this second picture. So my question is, does it seen healthy and do you have any tips for me to make it healthier so it can hopefully not die? I am hoping for it to be an indoor plant. I am keeping it by a window that is hopefully giving it enough sun. Also sorry I am a nooby farmer :p
IMG_20160719_225851.jpg
1469074353892-983428829.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Your little mango tree is looking good! Starting it off inside is actually a good idea; mango seedlings, depending on the cultivar, can be fragile when starting out. When they're established, they're quite hardy and easy to care for; just lots of sunshine and enough water to keep the soil slightly damp. If you've got a dwarf variety, you have the perfect indoor plant. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your little mango tree is looking good! Starting it off inside is actually a good idea; mango seedlings, depending on the cultivar, can be fragile when starting out. When they're established, they're quite hardy and easy to care for; just lots of sunshine and enough water to keep the soil slightly damp. If you've got a dwarf variety, you have the perfect indoor plant. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Thank you! This is what it looks like right now. I try to keep it outside in full sun for about 10 minutes because I dont want this California weather to kill it. It can get as hot as 110 degrees. I am kinda worried because one of its leaves that are about to grow is growing quicker and longer than the other one beside it, idk if that is bad or good. I am also worried because some times the winter temperatures in California can get to 40 degrees and I herd that temperatures like that can kill the mango tree. I can use heating pads if I keep it inside but if it goes outside it might die from the cold. I don't know of its a dwarf. I just grew it from a store bought mango. I actually have two others germinating but only one of them has grown it's leaves, and can't tell if the other one will be successful.

Attachments

• 1469221051862767163299.jpg
    1469221051862767163299.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 620
Reaction score
Looks healthy to me! Just don't overwater, though or you'll drown the little one. I tried planting a mango tree once and they bore much fruits for several years. Yes, they are hardy once they have grown and need very little care. Unfortunately, the soil I planted it in used to be a farmland and was termite infested. We didn't notice that the termites were gradually eating off the roots and the stem. It was too late to save it then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've grown about 10 mangos from seedlings now.... Honestly, they really require hardly any maintenance . Mangos are so easy.

So far, a month into growth, I haven't really done much except water it -- and not even daily...

Attached is a photo of about one months growth from the time I sowed seed (paper towel plastic bag method).

Attachments

• IMG_20160813_084117.jpg
    IMG_20160813_084117.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 675
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!!! I started seeding mangoes recently too. I wonder if they should be fertilized at this size. This is my first one, and it'seems 4 weeks old now.
20160828_192033.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!!! I started seeding mangoes recently too. I wonder if they should be fertilized at this size. This is my first one, and it'seems 4 weeks old now.
View attachment 14951

From what I've read, not in the first year .... But I honestly don't know from experience to be able to confirm that.
Feeding nutes is what I am curious about... I think it can takes nutes now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Pablo, your mango seedling looks quite good to me and it would probably grow double the size in a week's time. Just give it enough water for the soil would be wet at least until noon time and have it sunned a bit although place it under a shade if the sun is too hot.

@ferice, I agree with @Montray Davis that seedlings don't need fertilizer. From what I know, some fertilizers are "hot" and ruin the young roots and can even burn the seedlings to death. Just plain water and sunlight will do good for the seedling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Pablo, your mango seedling looks quite good to me and it would probably grow double the size in a week's time. Just give it enough water for the soil would be wet at least until noon time and have it sunned a bit although place it under a shade if the sun is too hot.

@ferice, I agree with @Montray Davis that seedlings don't need fertilizer. From what I know, some fertilizers are "hot" and ruin the young roots and can even burn the seedlings to death. Just plain water and sunlight will do good for the seedling.

Thank you for the help! sadly i got in a fight with a family memeber and they decided to throw it on the floor and it died. It was doing great, it was near 8 inches tall. I plan on growing more but right now I have a papaya tree to take care of :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can do well to observe general care like disinfecting the soil with Calcium hydroxide which would also reduce the acidity of the root environment. You should also spray with fungicides which destroy seedlings easily. You should also protect it from pests by spraying with pesticides and incorporating well rotten manure into the soil.

Ask a Question