Mango plant dropping leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two grafted mango plants. I noticed that both plants had a sudden growth spurt and then some of the new and old leaves started dropping. I don’t see any damage on the leaves, no disease, and the fallen leaves look healthy otherwise. But the leaves are just falling off the stem. Is this normal or can I do anything to make sure it survives?

Attachments

• DB9DEBCF-D0A8-4490-BB52-F08F8C8D5CB7.jpeg
    DB9DEBCF-D0A8-4490-BB52-F08F8C8D5CB7.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 751CFF6D-34BF-40A4-864E-857933F8E1EC.jpeg
    751CFF6D-34BF-40A4-864E-857933F8E1EC.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tampa Fl, pretty warm year round
I am thinking more in the way of temperature fluctuations. If it isn't temperature changes it has to be the soil. It also cannot be a fertilization issue as there is zero evidence of any leaf deterioration or browning of the leaf tips or margins and no discoloration. There also is no evidence of a disease and/or insect damage. So, that leaves temperature fluctuations. During the past 30 days or so has there been any really warm days and then it got abnormally cool?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking more in the way of temperature fluctuations. If it isn't temperature changes it has to be the soil. It also cannot be a fertilization issue as there is zero evidence of any leaf deterioration or browning of the leaf tips or margins and no discoloration. There also is no evidence of a disease and/or insect damage. So, that leaves temperature fluctuations. During the past 30 days or so has there been any really warm days and then it got abnormally cool?
The weather has been pretty constant. What I’m thinking is it could be lack of water? I was told mango trees don’t require too much water so I’ve been going a week or two before watering. But I was also reading that a young plant would require more regular watering, could this be it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The weather has been pretty constant. What I’m thinking is it could be lack of water? I was told mango trees don’t require too much water so I’ve been going a week or two before watering. But I was also reading that a young plant would require more regular watering, could this be it?
The plant does look a little droopy but that could be from numerous things, including a lack of water. When you water how do you water? Just pour water on the top? If so this is wrong. You should water from the bottom up. This is the only way you can assure that EVERYTHING gets watered. Put the plant into a wheelbarrow or bathtub and put enough water in it to reach about 1/2 way up the plants container and let the plant sit there until water stands on the soil surface. Do this everytime you water until you put the plant into the ground. Depending on the growing medium it will take about 5-10 days before it needs watered again. Have you removed the plant from its container to see if it is root bound? If it is repot into a larger container.

Ask a Question