Malabar Spinach bolting too early?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several Malabar plants growing, all the red/purple stem variety. Plants look great and healthy. In south Texas, so very hot in June. Plants are in containers so I water twice a day on average. They are only about 2 months old, but are already producing the little (flower?) pods that will become seeds. I fear the leaves may become bitter, like lettuce and regular spinach that has gone to bolt. Is this normal for Malabar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am new here... I planed those too... but only last week or so... I am having trouble, maybe you could share your experience... I direct sowed, which I think some find to be rebellious. Anyhow, the Malabar has germinted... the leaves poked up and unfolded... after that, they seem stuck at that height... it's been a few days like that... after germination, is there a period of pause before they start increasing in height?... considering all the other things I planted are doing the same thing, I'm assuming something is wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We`ve been gardening for ages, and we have the same problem this year. Without adequate rain the plants bolt and try to save themselves by producing flowers and seeds for the next generation.
The one thing we all share as gardeners is the fact that we never stop learning :geek:

Ask a Question