Making Cider at Home

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking at this type of Apple press in our local brewing shop, gonna get one when i've sold the house.

Reaction score
Wow that's amazing. I have had apple cider before.and I have always been curious about how to make my own. That was a very interesting video. I don't know if I could do it like that, but I am willing to try.

Reaction score
I once ran golden delicious apples through a blender, wrapped it in a cloth, and squeezed the juice out. It was delicious.

It was also a lot of work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds like a great idea zigs, you'll have to let us know how you get on (y)

I love proper cider, don't tend to see much of it around our way. Maybe we should get a press too! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried cider, it's an alcoholic beverage, isn't it? We have an apple tree in our garden (my parents haven't cut it down yet), so it could be a great idea for using the apples:D

Reaction score
Apple cider can be alcoholic, but I don't think it is basically. I have had.it before and it was not alcoholic. I have also had hot apple cider.and it was DELICIOUS. I asked the guy who made it for the recipe, and I'm still waiting for him to give it to me.:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I ought to point out that in England we call the alcoholic stuff Cider or Scrumpy.

The non alcoholic stuff is just called Apple Juice.

I expect a few Americans have been taken by surprise over here, Scrumpy Cider is usually 6% alcohol or more.

Reaction score
In the USA, apple juice has been heated but cider has not. Cider has a far more complex flavor than apple juice!

Hard cider is what we call the alcohol sort of cider, and I am not that fond of it.When I taste the apples I want to taste sweetness as well, and it isn't there any longer!

Reaction score
I drink cider (non-alcoholic) warm. I don't drink apple juice warm but cold.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aah, so unpasteurised is Cider & Pasteurised is juice?

Reaction score
Aah, so unpasteurised is Cider & Pasteurised is juice?
Exactly.

Really, the government tries too hard! You used to be able to buy non-pasteurized juice at the smaller orchards, but they made that illegal. They were afraid that it would ferment if it wasn't drunk fast enough! If you like the raw juice now you have to make it yourself, and I rarely have enough apples for that!,

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's that one clarified then :D And just to make it crystal clear, if its called Cider in the UK, it will be alcoholic.

They just can't keep their fingers out can they, they tried that over here with unpasteurised milk and brie. Think you can buy them again now though.

Incidentally, Cider can be sold by the roadside here without paying duty, up to 1500 gallons a year.

Reaction score
They just can't keep their fingers out can they, they tried that over here with unpasteurized milk and brie. Think you can buy them again now though..
Good for England! Our government lately has been frothing at the mouth over unpasteurized milk: a few states allow the sale of raw milk directly from the producer, but the government has made a few raids at gunpoint, handcuffing the family, in order to test the quality of the product and to demand the required paperwork!

In my youth, such people would have shown up with badges to take samples, instead of handcuffing people at the beginning of the raid. Our government hs gone overboard about security!

Reaction score
I would rather have fresh cider from apples rather than what they have in stores. It's hard to find people who kniw how to make it fresh, but I'm not giving up. It's way better than store bought cider.

Ask a Question