Make compost at home

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello my friends. I made compost at home. Very very useful and too easy. I am waiting your advice. :)

this HTML class. Value is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Last time I made compost at home, I prepared a big pot with good drainage and put a thick bed of grass cuttings and soil at the bottom, then added organic material from the kitchen (fruit, egg shells, pruning garbage), then I put another bed of soil and grass, then another layer of organic material, and so on. I watered it so the soil keeps moistened. As the material decomposes, it's good idea to shake the container a bit so you get uniform decomposition. It took me like 2 months to get my finished compost (very good quality). You end up having a very loose and soft soil with no bad smells, in fact it smells like the forest soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband thinks a big pile of leaves in the autumn is going to compost. It doesn't. I'm going to start sneaking in some green material and maybe some kitchen waste. He is afraid the kitchen waste will attract rodents. Is that an issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Could be an issue if you leave the material uncontained or if you add meats or oils. If you got a covered container with small holes at the bottom for drainage, and add just fruit waste or greens you should be fine. In fact you can add worms to the compost, they will help a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Last time I made compost at home, I prepared a big pot with good drainage and put a thick bed of grass cuttings and soil at the bottom, then added organic material from the kitchen (fruit, egg shells, pruning garbage), then I put another bed of soil and grass, then another layer of organic material, and so on. I watered it so the soil keeps moistened. As the material decomposes, it's good idea to shake the container a bit so you get uniform decomposition. It took me like 2 months to get my finished compost (very good quality). You end up having a very loose and soft soil with no bad smells, in fact it smells like the forest soil.
Yes, it is a tedious process to make real compost. What we have is an artificial compost. We just dug a hole on the ground - a foot deep and a foot in diameter - where we place excess vegetables and fruit trimmings from the kitchen. Anything organic is welcome like leftover rice or even meat dishes. However, the pit should be covered to prevent pests from eating the leftover food. In a month's time, the soild under is already compost with a mixture of vermicompost. It's a good fertilizer too.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
You can make compost in a compost in as well as in a compost pit.

Get a bin, make a hole at the bottom, fill the bin with organic waste (kitchen is a great source of organic waste). When the bin is full, close the lid. After 20-25 days, you can use the filling as compost.
If you want to make compost from compost pit, dig a pit and fill the pit with organic waste and cover with plastic sheet.

Ask a Question