Major set back

Reaction score
:mad:

I forgot my husband told me he couldn't get the plastic on. A really bad snowstorm too early in the fall and all his time was spend shoveling both at home and at work, and then he couldn't figure out where the garden paths were under all the snow.

Now I have to do a lot of work instead of just putting my peas in the ground. Not sure how much coffee it will take before I convince myself to get up and get busy but I think it will be a lot.

When he gets home it's off to the store to buy bags of compost. I HATE paying for compost, but don't want to see my crops perform badly this year.

Reaction score
I'm sorry that happened to you guys. The weather has been really bad and unpredictable this year. Even here in Miami, my daughter keeps getting sick because we'll have weeks of hot days and then a random cold front out of nowhere. My plants are not enjoying the sudden ,random cold days that keep popping up either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sorry to hear that, Meowmie:( The weather has been crazy lately, you never know what to expect and you have to be prepared for everything. On one hand, it makes gardening more exciting, on the other, it can be pretty frustrating sometimes:(

Reaction score
Its not fun but you do what you have to do if you want to have productive gardens. This past winter was really, really nasty so there is a lot of cleanup involved with getting my yard and gardens ready to go.

Reaction score
Weather here is absolutely crazy. One day it'll be 78 and the next be 45 and rain. Buying something you don't really want to but will make for a great garden will show its pay off when you get your veggies and start eating them.

Reaction score
So sorry that this happened to you. We planted our garden and had a freak last minute storm as well and I thought for sure that our little plants were done in but amazingly they survived and are still growing right now. We did a bit of weeding this morning.

I hope that you will get it all sorted out. Hugs

Reaction score
I picked up 4 big bags (ok, I pointed and my husband picked them up) of composted manure. I worked that into the crumbled but no decomposed leaves, and have started getting things going in the garden.

Probably going to start setting the broccoli out next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We have had the same mix of warm, then cold, weather here. I know that this is typical for spring; but it does seem like this year has been really exaggerated changes in the weather. I am lucky that i live in the south, since we haven't had all the terrible snowstorms they just keep having in the northern states.
Every time that i think we are past the freezing cold nights; along comes another one; so I have been keeping the veggie starts in the house most nites, and then setting the containers outside in the daytime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It was 73 F here one late afternoon. By one in the morning or so, it was a blizzard outside, literally! And in the late twenties! I live in Ohio, where you can experience all four seasons within a weekend, ha. I never thought of all this before getting into gardening; weather must be a frustrating thing!

Reaction score
I'm sorry that happened. The weather hasn't been the best for plants lately. I know around here, it warmed up and then dropped below freezing -- twice. It puts them in shock. :(

Reaction score
Four seasons in one day... That's a bit much in my book! I'm starting to set out my cold weather crops now, and I have milk jugs with the bottoms cut out on top of them to protect them if the weather gets bad.

Reaction score
We have had the same mix of warm, then cold, weather here. I know that this is typical for spring; but it does seem like this year has been really exaggerated changes in the weather. I am lucky that i live in the south, since we haven't had all the terrible snowstorms they just keep having in the northern states.
Every time that i think we are past the freezing cold nights; along comes another one; so I have been keeping the veggie starts in the house most nites, and then setting the containers outside in the daytime.
We're having the same issues. I am also moving pots back and forth from the yard to the laundry room. It IS supposed to be warm all week, but I don't have faith that it will stay that way. This has been one crazy spring so far!

Ask a Question