Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all dull and drizzle today ,will be off the map for 8 days from tomorrow heading to Sweden to see eldest son and family.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Awwwww! Just thinking about the lake makes me smile! Hope you have a nice week off. We are dull too, but I am drizzling with perspiration. Removed most of the honeysuckle and clematis montana rubens. Pretend planted some fruit trees, some bamboos in tubs as I don't want them to move towards the sun, encroaching onto the lawn. In the process of doing so discovered a lot of dahlia new growths.

Freegled some plants and now off to lunch and then to the tip to get rid of all the climbers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC00706.JPG
DSC00703.JPG
DSC00700.JPG
DSC00699.JPG
DSC00696.JPG
DSC00694.JPG
DSC00693.JPG
DSC00692.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, Perki! Your lawn is gorgeous! Well done. Such a lovely result. I wonder if Eryngium self seeds like the way they do here! The alliums are quite fun to snap. What are they exactly? We have no allium flower for a long time., except a conical shape one. Will take a photo tomorrow.

Been to the allotment and quite a few plants looked dying. So dry and the soil was so weird. Like some solid sand with no nutrients at all. Watered about 20 rounds plus. A man loaded 5 watering can in his wheelbarrow in one go. LOL! I might do that.

Agapanthus already in flower!
SAM_0411.JPG
SAM_0412.JPG
SAM_0413.JPG
SAM_0414.JPG
SAM_0415.JPG
SAM_0416.JPG
SAM_0417.JPG
SAM_0418.JPG
SAM_0419.JPG

Love my Curly Sparkler!
SAM_0420.JPG

Sweet Sultan - my first flower ever! Yeah!
SAM_0421.JPG

Hello, Tetters!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry couldn't say anything earlier had a visitor just arrive when I was uploading.

The lawn doing ok , it looks good some days other days not as well as I hoped :unsure: going to over seed this week but I will give it a iron feed first it will green it up and make the turf stronger.

The allium is Miami I forgot I planted them , got them from Lidl just for the sake of buying something, had a long journey looking for allium purple rain so thought why not . They are much bigger than the little bulbs were letting on and flowered later than all my other alliums but for summer drummer, they look nice next to my ligularia little rocket.

Annoyingly the purple meconopsis has returned and its still the same colour , its not a patch on my blue ones, you can just make it out above astrantia roma.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have found my astrantia and don't think it will flower. But astrantia is new to me. Really have no idea if it will flower this year. But the leaves have bulked up a bit. Purple or violet meconopsis looks nice in your garden with so many allium and violety colour. I would LOVE to have yours, only to kill it. My 3 amigos have all died. This year, they don't even bother to show their faces. Meconopsis and me just don't mix! :banghead: :mad:

Just watered the garden and come in with more mossie bites - next to the left eye, front of the right leg which has already been plagued with scabs and numbed area!

If I see this allium Miami again, I will buy them. They are very low maintenance and some do set seeds readily. My gigantea is happily seeding, but the globemaster and the other one are not functioning. Haven't seen any globemaster. Very disappointed.

Perki: If you see my lawn, you will be very happy with yours. The heat and lack of moisture have left me with bald patches. Now that I have used metered water to water my plants, I don't think I will spend money rescuing the bald patches.

SAM_0004.JPG

A very old packet of seeds given by a lady called Delore. We chatted a bit in a supermarket and she offered me her compost bin. Went to her house and she also offered this carrot seeds. Must be about 4 to 6 years ago. Grew them in a tiny pot. Not bad for such an old bag of seeds.

My beloved Thalictrum Delavayi
SAM_0422.JPG
SAM_0423.JPG

Sweet peas grown from seeds and the whole garden is drifting with perfume, from dianthus, jasmines, lilies and star jasmine!
SAM_0424.JPG
SAM_0425.JPG
SAM_0426.JPG

A cross breed from my yellow and pink alstroemerias
SAM_0427.JPG

Fragrant lily, not so perfect as those of @DrCase 's though!
SAM_0428.JPG
SAM_0429.JPG
SAM_0430.JPG

Anaemic tree lilies - barely 4 feet tall.

And most prolific AGM Madame Julie Correvon. Wonderful asset to any garden - long flowering and reblooming
SAM_0431.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you dig in lots of organic matter when planting certain plants alp ? it will help retain moister for plants like astrantia. You may struggle growing allium globemaster from seed its supposed to be sterile .

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all: @DrCase You're being polite. I saw the edge of the near perfect big lily had its petal eaten along the edge when yours are perfect, spotless and glorious. Now,I have lost the knack of killing the lily beetles. They escaped my clumsy fingers and fell onto the floor, belly up. So after baring down at the soil, I give up.

Perki I had a bit of horse manure chucked in last year, and have added tons of materials over the year. This morning, I added a bit of seaweed for feed, I just have to wait and see; but I admit defeat, as I have tried for more than 3 years and this year, I bought a REAL PLANT. I saw a bit of leaves. I also bought 2 plants before, but no joy. I will keep a close eye on it. But I also need to keep a close eye on Lobelia Stipa, Echinacea Twister, .. my tiny Jacaranda, ...

Very unsettling news in the world. Wish people supposedly leading the world think before they tweet! Words have consequence.

No rain for me! Two splits teased me and I came in after half an hour of watering. Planted out some Toms from seeds gathered from Lidl. Should have kept some sugardrop and they are all in form of tom juice in the freeze for making son's favorite spaghetti.

Globemaster I bought in bulb, but I have now found some big alliums don't produce seeds. Any way, they didn't do well, apart from the Gigantea which you teased me about, Perki! LOL! I thought they would flower their socks off, just like the Cristophiis spreading like wild fires in my garden.

Incidentally, caught up with all the Hampton Court episodes. I really like them as at the end, they asked the experts about problem solving and all the great and good dished out invaluable advice about agapanthus, acer .. much more useful than phrasing praise which is tiresome ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very sunny, but very enjoyable with a cool breezy and I have been saved from the mozzies so far.

There will be no rain!

Went to the allotment yesterday and an allotmenteer gave me some lovely courgettes. Also invited me to pick his giant blackberries. Felt like ripping up my tiny specks of black raspberries. His neighbour had some enormous raspberries and nobody was picking or enjoying them. Shop bought standard. Must get some cuttings.

Saw this fabulous bird feeder and couldn't help myself from snapping

SAM_0186.JPG
SAM_0187.JPG

One of my argy..ums! Very pretty and it was so dry in the allotment that I mulched with tons of wood chips. I was horrified by the rampant weeds.
SAM_0196.JPG

Got about 4 hydrangea paniculata
SAM_0192.JPG
SAM_0193.JPG
SAM_0199.JPG

My favorite is this Curly Sparkler!

This person was so lucky. I have never seen one in real life!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A very sad day - my beloved beautiful but a bit strange Goldie and a silkie female have been had by the fox. :banghead: :mad::inpain::banghead::cry::cry::cry:! Should have put them to bed myself as I had noticed a dip in the ground. Can't believe 2 of them. Very sad. Looks like a violent death, feathers everywhere.

This keeping chickens business is a bit frustrating. The layers are very rude, rough and fussy. Just don't know what they would eat. Everything got stood on. Even the metal feeders can't escape being stood on and heavy ceramic water feeder turned upside down. Now I have another female turned male croaking non-stop. Goldie's death really is demoralising and unfair. I have only myself to blame. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Was watering the plants, and there was a bit of drizzle and I thought, "Yeah, right! Pull another one!"

After I had done the most important bit of watering, it started to rain earnestly. So happy. At least a bit of rain. Won't be much as the sky is not laden with clouds.

Finally, SD card sorted out
1563085334750.png

My lobelia stipas are about 3 inches tall. I wonder what my chances of having flowers this year are!

My microSD cards have been corrupted and so no photos to upload.

1563085334750.png

My first poker
SAM_0021.JPG
SAM_0022.JPG

My lilies at the front
SAM_0023.JPG
SAM_0024.JPG
SAM_0025.JPG

Stunning perfect Franz Kafka x 2! What a joy to behold. Should have planted them next to my Thalictrum!

SAM_0019.JPG

SAM_0020.JPG

Sympathy to those caught up in floods caused by Barry in the US! Very sad!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Had a very busy day yesterday. Cleared the legacy compost bin (one out of 3) to make room for the horse manure. Did a lot of mulching and the weather was ideal. Need to empty all of the compost bins and generally make room probably for a greenhouse.

Bought a white Penstemon, a Green Jewel Echinacea (hopefully as this nursery is famous for wrong labelling and the owner was rude and patronising. She had a tray of deep purple penstemon labelled as Sour Grapes and I was too happy to see one for sale at £2.75. Came home and took photos and realised that couldn't be Sour Grapes. We went there yesterday and found a whole tray wrongly labelled. She also had a double white hellebore labelled as Black hellebore double and it is now taking up space in my garden. She argued that not a whole of them were wrongly labelled and asked me to dig it up and return it and she will refund me. How about the inconvenience it caused me? I will keep it and hopefully, the other one growing in my garden with buds could be a Sour Grapes.

Some of the plants flowering in my allotment.

SAM_0029.JPG
SAM_0030.JPG
SAM_0031.JPG
SAM_0032.JPG
SAM_0033.JPG
SAM_0034.JPG

Sweet Sultan which I have raised from seeds. I think everybody should raise plants from seeds and plant them en masse
SAM_0027.JPG
SAM_0028.JPG

Good news - We defeated NZ in Cricket and Hamilton won Silverstone! Federer! :banghead: :inpain: :cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Funny that Ashley Giles, Executive of the English Cricket Board, smiled when asked about the umpire's mistake! Well, there are always dubious umpire mistakes. It went our way this time. Such a good weekend.

Hope this makes sweet memory for Prime Minister May (photo source The Sun) Need to find a decent photo for this occasion.

I hope Federer will beat Djok soon, just to overcome the psychological barrier.

Not much going on in the garden. Yesterday, went to the allotment and cleared the compost bins.

Going to be a scorcher

Certainly NOT Sour Grapes!
SAM_0207.JPG
SAM_0208.JPG

Wonderful Thalictrum - oh so small!
SAM_0209.JPG
SAM_0210.JPG
SAM_0211.JPG

This dahlia is very happy.
SAM_0212.JPG

Last edited:
Status