Lupines

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi louis,
I was just looking at your Lupins,
Are you going to take the finished seed head stalks off this time of year?
If you do you'll get a second shouwing around september /october time.

Tip
Save your own seed pods and next spring put them in a little glass jar with luke warm water over night,
this will help the hard seed pods become softer and if you sow them after this soaking they should start to grow little plants,
Any seeds that float in the jar of water are dead seeds and not much good really.

Lupins really are a smashing plant.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Logan,
Yep ive just had my Lupin book out and your right,
As ive said we've a big garden and filling the borders is a task "But" the likes of Lupins /daisy really are a god send, they look really nice and remind (she who must be obeyed) of her grans cottage, she had Lupins.

P

Peace perfect peace

You have to admit this is the thing about gardening, its such a smashing hobby,
We've a TV add and its about an older man and his garden, as he's in the garden doing his gardening one day he can hear the kids playing over his fence and then a plastic bag comes over the fence,

The old man says nothing picks the bag up a throws it back to the kids,
The next day again while he's enjoying time in the greenhouse something hit's the frame and again he just says nothing and throws it back,

The next thing is a football, and again the old man says nothing "but he kicks it back over the fence,

Then one sunny morn he's just sitting in his garden having a cuppa, and something lands at his feet, It's a bar of chocolate as he picks it up
three little heads are looking at him from over the fence and one voice say'"s

"You dont have to throw that one back "mr brown"

The old man looks at the chocolate and smiles, (it was a thank you for being both a good old man and a gardener .

I think this add says a lot, We who have interest in what ever hobby can really get something out of it:whistle:

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Louis,
That video of sowing sweet pea's must be one of the worst ive ever seen,
Firstly if you look at the pods thats been cut off the main stem, the peas have already been opened by the plant itself (that twisted pod)
Half the seeds have gone,
If as i pointed out those stems had been removed just a little ealier and put into a paper bag hung up side down and put in a dry dark room you'd have a lot more seeds? hence more chance of plants?
Now the sowing,
Ive not seen sweet peas sown that early, store them like the seed companies do and plan a sowing later on ,
Help the seeds to open by using the overnight soaking i mentioned,

The way the video did the sowing (1 x seed per square) How do you know if thats a good live seed or a dud ? AND 1 X seed per square i think is far to little, i'd have 4 or 5 in that same square, and by using the soaking method you'd know what seeds are alive and whats a dud seed,
The actual depth that 1 seed was sown was not deep enough,
And the perlite was nothing like enough, or spread across the complete area of the square potting tray,

And last but not least, stand the seed tray in water and let the compost get moist from the bottom up wards,
If you water perlite it turns green,

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Lupins from my garden variety is gallery
20210602_172946.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics