Lucky Bamboo Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I've had a braided lucky bamboo for a few months. I've been watering it with distilled water once a week up to stones. I've noticed that over time the tips of leaves have browned. I have snipped some away, but now even more troubling a whole leaf is turning yellow/brown/dying. The stalks themselves aren't browning. I am not sure about the roots. Taking the plant home today to clean out the rocks and pot and check roots.

Maybe it has something to do with the temperature? This office building is horrible.. One day its cool the next day its hot. I think over the weekend they turn off the air.

Any ideas!? See below for pictures
0708161152.jpg
0708161153.jpg
0708161153a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello All,

I've had a braided lucky bamboo for a few months. I've been watering it with distilled water once a week up to stones. I've noticed that over time the tips of leaves have browned. I have snipped some away, but now even more troubling a whole leaf is turning yellow/brown/dying. The stalks themselves aren't browning. I am not sure about the roots. Taking the plant home today to clean out the rocks and pot and check roots.

Maybe it has something to do with the temperature? This office building is horrible.. One day its cool the next day its hot. I think over the weekend they turn off the air.

Any ideas!? See below for picturesView attachment 14025 View attachment 14026 View attachment 14027
What kind of lighting does it get?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of lighting does it get?
I have 4 sets of florescent lighting (2 light tubes each). Light is on usually about 8-9 hours a day. Weekends its off. Not much sunlight comes through the windows either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 4 sets of florescent lighting (2 light tubes each). Light is on usually about 8-9 hours a day. Weekends its off. Not much sunlight comes through the windows either.
That shouldn't be too much light and your watering is correct so that only leaves its climate. And if its climate changes temps every day and is in the dark a lot of the time I doubt if I would be very happy either. So that's my guess, fluctuating temps and light

Reaction score
Country
United States
That shouldn't be too much light and your watering is correct so that only leaves its climate. And if its climate changes temps every day and is in the dark a lot of the time I doubt if I would be very happy either. So that's my guess, fluctuating temps and light
I'll try taking it home with me instead of the office, cleaning it out, and seeing how it does with a consistent climate. I was going to switch from distilled water to purified water, but I agree I don't think its the water as distilled is probably the best option.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll try taking it home with me instead of the office, cleaning it out, and seeing how it does with a consistent climate. I was going to switch from distilled water to purified water, but I agree I don't think its the water as distilled is probably the best option.

Thanks!
The water issue is mainly about chemicals like chlorine in it.

Ask a Question