Lucky Bamboo Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, New to forum and gardening in general. Looking to get some indoor plants just for some healthier air for myself and my pets.

Anyway, I was given a lucky bamboo and looks like it is in need of help. Was told it didn't get watered much and was left out in the sun a bit.

I repotted it and the roots were completely dry from what i could tell. So I potted it in some miracle grow potting cactus mix (what i had on hand) and gave it some water.

The stalks appear to have started turning but are mostly green. No actual yellow really. Especially at the bottom.

Is it too far gone at this point to save or should I just trash it and keep the pot since it is really nice?

20151211_130944.jpg 20151211_151743.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all, New to forum and gardening in general. Looking to get some indoor plants just for some healthier air for myself and my pets.

Anyway, I was given a lucky bamboo and looks like it is in need of help. Was told it didn't get watered much and was left out in the sun a bit.

I repotted it and the roots were completely dry from what i could tell. So I potted it in some miracle grow potting cactus mix (what i had on hand) and gave it some water.

The stalks appear to have started turning but are mostly green. No actual yellow really. Especially at the bottom.

Is it too far gone at this point to save or should I just trash it and keep the pot since it is really nice?

View attachment 10289 View attachment 10290
My wife tells me that they like a LOT of water and that it will more than likely be OK if it wasn't dry for too long. She also said it doesn't like direct sunlight either

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife tells me that they like a LOT of water and that it will more than likely be OK if it wasn't dry for too long. She also said it doesn't like direct sunlight either

I'll keep it watered and see what happens.

I was reading that the leaves are dead now and should be removed to hopefully have new growth. Any truth in that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lucky bamboo does well in water with no soil at all. In its natural environment it grows in constantly damp conditions. Also try using filtered or bottled water... Fluoride and chlorine in tap water (depends on your water source) contributes to browning leaves. It's fine to remove brown leaves; probably better for the plant actually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to have a few stalks but I didn't keep them in soil! I only saw them being kept in water at my brother's house. I am thinking of getting a few luck bamboo stalk for my new home too.

I think yours are still healthy! Maybe you could try to keep them in water only rather than soil?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. It does sound like your problem has been answered concerning your bamboo plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nename74, That is a pretty cool Lucky Bamboo Just to add to what has been said by beth ,Chuck, & your wife.They hate direct sun, Need loads of water Some people just keep them in a cup of water, but is best keep it soaked pot of compost so if your keeping it in that cactus compost , Make sure the pot is in a deep container of water. A humid place is cool to & remove dead leaves from the stem so it only has to concentrate on its top growth you can remove brown leaves on the stem top but not the top 4 or 6 leaves. If a stem starts going yellow Cut bellow the yellow line then put some wax on the cut. Candle wax or car wax will do fine. Don't let it get to cold. O yes and only uses vary clean bottled water not tap water if it has chlorine. only feed it at most once a month leave it in the pot for a few days then remove the water with the feed and give it fresh clean water. Hope you enjoy your Lucky Bamboo

Ask a Question