Low Hanging Power Lines?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everybody,

So my powerlines in my urban homestead run through my backyard. They hang pretty low off the pole, about 10 or 11 feet at the lowest, and I'm concerned this will have some adverse effects on my garden next year. Anyone here have experience with this? I might be able to have them raised but if I can work around them with no problem then I won't worry about it. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is a common problem in different places and its not uncommon to find powerlines and transformers near gardens posing a mortal danger. Its prudent to contact the authorities to see whether something can be done to correct the situation. In my area, electricity providers have insulated overhead cables so that they pose no threat. Electricity is a clear and present danger and and its better to be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow that seems awfully low. My cable line is about 20' and the power lines a good 5' taller than that, I'm looking at them right now. In my line of work I'm often up on ladders outside so am sort of aware of power lines...seems most clear the roofline of a standard two story house which is roughly 22'.

I agree they won't be a danger if you don't touch them. But I'd be calling my local power company and maybe your building department too, if I were you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Around my part of the country if you tell the utility company that you are putting in a pool they have to move the lines by law and they can't cross over the area that the pool will be in. If that is the case where you live then you could get them moved for free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
We have a tree on our front lawn which usually grows fairly tall, and it actually grew tall enough to run into the power lines. The power lines are not that low, but because the tree had grown into them, we decided to have the tree cut. Also, lately there were monkeys around the area who would get on the roof, then climb on to the wires so as to get into the tree. That was the main reason why we decided to have the tree cut. The tree was cut about 8 months ago and it is taking quite a long time to get back to its original height, but that's fine. It seems to be spreading outwards now rather than upwards. Also, we have gotten rid of the monkey problem. We no longer hear them on our roof.

Ask a Question