Lovely, lazy days of summer.

Reaction score
The near- constant rain has stopped and the birds and the cicadas are singing. The fish are biting and every night there is a bowl of watermelon in the fridge. I would LIKE to pick the blackberries again but I might be too lazy: there is some frozen but I intend that for blackberry muffins. Next week I would like some to make ice cream topping and the bushes are almost done bearing: but I might be too lazy. I haven't even bothered to cut some zinnias and put them in a vase: I just enjoy them while I am gardening.

'Cause I am just TOO lazy when the sun is shining and the cicadas are singing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The near- constant rain has stopped and the birds and the cicadas are singing. The fish are biting and every night there is a bowl of watermelon in the fridge. I would LIKE to pick the blackberries again but I might be too lazy: there is some frozen but I intend that for blackberry muffins. Next week I would like some to make ice cream topping and the bushes are almost done bearing: but I might be too lazy. I haven't even bothered to cut some zinnias and put them in a vase: I just enjoy them while I am gardening.

'Cause I am just TOO lazy when the sun is shining and the cicadas are singing.
Sounds just soooo relaxing Terri. I'm sure you'll do what ever you have to,when you have to. In the meantime please put your feet up. I feel exhausted just thinking about picking those blackberries myself let alone the zinnias. There is nothing like chilled watermelon on a hot day. Also love watermelon, feta and mint salad. We are nearing the end of winter so we are all looking forward to some sunshine And singing cycads and ice cream topping and.........;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great post and sums up summer in the Midwest! Apart from the big storm on Friday night, it's been hot and dry here. I was out doing stuff until early afternoon, now I am home with the AC and fans going...being lazy for the rest of the day.

DeborahJane, I also love watermelon (or any sort of melon really) with crumbled feta and mint. It's a very traditionally Mediterranean thing to eat.

Reaction score
I have heard the winter may be warm here in the Midwest, courtesy of an El Nino. Mild would be nice: I am not quite ready to let go of summer this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have heard the winter may be warm here in the Midwest, courtesy of an El Nino. Mild would be nice: I am not quite ready to let go of summer this year!

I hope so. Year before last was the polar freeze and record snow and ice, last winter extremely cold temperatures (hit a new record here of 25F below) for extended periods of time...I am ready for a mild winter too.

Reaction score
Enjoy those lazy summer days ;) Over here hopefully summer will be over (thanks god, because over here summers are scorching out and almost make it impossible for me to sleep at night). I might try making one of those ice creams I saw on Pinterest (the ones made with fruit), the only thing I like about summer is that I can have a ice cream ;)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not ready to let go of summer yet either. It is good to just relax and enjoy yourself when ever you can. "Stop and smell the roses".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds absolutely fantastic for summer days and I am not ready to go back into the cold of winter either! Enjoy it while it still there to enjoy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This has been a lazy summer for me. This is the first year I've really got to enjoy doing very little in the garden, I think it time to sit back and think about next years garden and what new plants I can find to put in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
All this talk about lazy summer days....really looking forward to it. :):):) Last week of winter here so Spring is around the corner with WARMTH and SUN!!!! I know we I don't really know what cold is compared to 25 degrees BELOW Beth which I can't even imagine:confused:. I have mentioned before that I really love summer evenings...... watering, snipping, sipping...... and I allow myself the privilege of not to picking up after myself [I do that in the morning]. After all I may spill a drop!!!!;)

Reaction score
Ah, Deborahjane, spring is my FAVORITE time of the year! All that new life after winter's quiet and cold! I am almost jealous because you have that to look forward to and I do not!

I shall just have to comfort myself by bringing in a vase of flowers today! I should enjoy them while I still have them, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've lived in states with very cold winters since 1986 (Colorado, then Michigan) that I'm just used to it, or I have a metabolism that resists the effects of cold, or something. That extremely cold week when we hit 25 below? I was on a job with about a 70-mile round-trip commute and the heater switch in my work van failed. So I had no heat. :eek: I just wore my Elmer Fudd rabbit fur hat, gloves and several layers of winter clothing, it was fine. In fact I could have gotten it fixed (only a $25 repair!) but decided not to, just to be, I don't know, macho or something. :rolleyes:

Heat on the other hand - ladies, I was always OK with hot weather, used to go day hiking in Arizona and Colorado in high summer - but menopause broke my thermostat LOL. I am deeply unhappy now when it gets to be over, say, 80. Or 75, if it's at all humid. I'll deal with it, I often work outside so I have to, but I'm not happy about it!

Spring is absolutely magical after a long hard winter. Just amazing to see all that new life after months of snow and ice and frozen ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm going through a very hard time now, and I can't relax, but there is one thing that makes me feel a little better: delicious food. I eat unimaginable amounts of sweet raspberries, yummy tomatoes, juicy nectarines, fresh radishes and big bueberries:)

Reaction score
for m
I'm going through a very hard time now, and I can't relax, but there is one thing that makes me feel a little better: delicious food. I eat unimaginable amounts of sweet raspberries, yummy tomatoes, juicy nectarines, fresh radishes and big bueberries:)
For me, in the garden, it is the sunshine and the butterflies that do me the most good! Though, the melons that I pick and eat also make me feel somewhat rewarded for my efforts.

I picked the last of them 2 days ago. More are being set, but they might not ripen before frost. I am considering buying a melon when I shop today: they are SOOOO good this year!

Ask a Question