Lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was in Vietnam last September. In one of our stroll, we passed by a sort of park in the middle of the road. A woman was eating something and when we inquired, she handed us some seeds that she was eating. Those edible lotus seeds come from the lotus plants that are decorating the park. Is there anyone here who has lotus plants with edible seeds? We brought home a pod of the seeds but we don't know how to plant it. I guess it should be planted in a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your guess is as good as my guess! I have never contemplating on growing lotus since I don't have a pond. I have eaten lotus seeds before, but they were cooked in a form of a sweet dessert! They also sold dried ones here in local Asian markets.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Wow this is all new to me. I've never heard that you could eat lotus flowers then again down in our part of the worls we are still catching up on exotic plants etc. Do you have a pond with lillies in them Corzhens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a small pond and considered buying a lotus plant in the spring but they are quite expensive here! Almost $100 for one plant that won't make it through a Michigan winter. o_O They are stunning and I had no idea the seeds were edible.

@Corzhens I just looked it up and saw some online articles for growing lotus in large pots so it seems you can and in your climate they'd probably last a good long while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have a small pond and considered buying a lotus plant in the spring but they are quite expensive here! Almost $100 for one plant that won't make it through a Michigan winter. o_O They are stunning and I had no idea the seeds were edible.

@Corzhens I just looked it up and saw some online articles for growing lotus in large pots so it seems you can and in your climate they'd probably last a good long while.

Thank you for the encouragement. So you mean lotus is good when planted in a large pot. I will ask my husband to do that today because, as I said, we have a lotus pod with plenty of seeds which was given by the Vietnamese. The seeds are now black, probably ready for planting. And maybe the lotus would just require regular watering so it will grow faster. Thank you.

Ask a Question