Lots of Tiny Holes - Strawberry Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings all,

Need some help identifying the cause of these tons of little holes in my strawberry plant leaves. Recently transplanted them in a self-watering planter box and they seemed to be doing okay. Then topped off the potting soil with pine straw. Wasn't too long after that it seems that these little holes started to show up. Please see attached pix. Don't see any aphids or other bugs but I'm losing the leaves at a record pace. Sure could use some help... fast!

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC00291.JPG
    DSC00291.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00293.JPG
    DSC00293.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00294.JPG
    DSC00294.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I can think of that would make actual holes like that are small slugs. Strawberries are not their favourite, but if they arrived with the straw it may be all there is for them. They are very good at hiding during the day. Try a few slug pellets (It doesn't take many) and you could try checking them out with a torch at night, if you can see nothing during the day that is probably when it is happening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've seen flea beetles eat my potato leaves like it was shot with bird shot. Not near that bad though and they were always there in the daytime. Like Oliver says, check several times during the night.

Ask a Question