Lot's of new garden issues

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been seriously gardening for over 10 years and I have had more problems this year then ever before. I attend to my garden, literally several times a day 7 days a week. I am sure this is a combination of things. Here are some issues

1. Pea seeds, only 1 came up, looked normal and di NOTHING after it emerged. After a few weeks (2-3) it was slowly dying so I pulled it and it popped right up, very little roots and the "root" smelled bad. It was really odd. I mean it looked perfect when it emerged then exactly the same for at least 2 weeks. No growth, none.

2. Edamame. Lot come up fine but with "burnt" brown patches on the outside of the 2 main "leaves" and sometime inside. About 1/4 never open with anything inside - the first leaves that pop out were not visible and never showed. This has been going on for a few weeks.

3. It looks like I have fungus on sunflower leaves & beet leaves.

4. Some peppers at random are doing terrible when ones right next to them are fine.

5. Young tomato and squash leave look wrinkled.

6. Okra is doing Terrible. What does sprout does really bad and has basically done nothing - and yes it has been hot.

I suspect I have a root problem among other things. I cannot stress enough everything I have grown many times before and every thing is the same. Like peppers, I started all from seed and planted side by side but some are doing much worse then others. Generally speaking most vegetables are doing great but certain ones are definitely not. My points is the issue is very specific and leaves some things alone.

I am very consistent and it is not showing with my garden this year.

2 Edamame pics here, this gets a lot worse and brown spots get bigger, dried out and darker quickly.

Attachments

• 2212.jpg
    2212.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 6

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okra pics, Okra always did good in past year.

Attachments

• ok3.jpg
    ok3.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 6
  • ok2.jpg
    ok2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 6
  • ok1.jpg
    ok1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 6
  • beet4.jpg
    beet4.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
  • beet3.jpg
    beet3.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8
  • beet2.jpg
    beet2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 6
  • beet.jpg
    beet.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 8

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Squash & tomato leaves

Attachments

• wrnkliu.jpg
    wrnkliu.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wrrnkl.jpg
    wrrnkl.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 3
  • wrrnk.jpg
    wrrnk.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 3
  • wrn.jpg
    wrn.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 5
  • wrnk.jpg
    wrnk.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 3

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sunflower leaf issues

Attachments

• sf3.jpg
    sf3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sf2.jpg
    sf2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sf1.jpg
    sf1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 7

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil and sunflower, looked perfect when they popped up then nothing for a week and now dying.

Attachments

• basil.jpg
    basil.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 6
  • sff1.jpg
    sff1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 6

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes but I made raised beds about 7 years ago never had issues. Many things are growing great. Corn. Squash. Zucchini. Garlic. Potatoes, lots of other herbs, asparagus, many sunflowers are doing fantastic, lettuce, beans etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there a pine tree right next to your garden or are you mulching with the pine straw?

Looks like the ground is staying too damp as you can see that fungus growing on the ground.

If you think you have root rot, you can try a peroxide soil drench. 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. It will aerate the soil and help knock out some of that fungus. I've used it before with success but everyones mileage may vary.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pine trees are nearby but I mulch with pine needles and have for 7 years. He hasn't been as damp as it has in the past when I didn't have issues. Plus they are raised beds so I don't think that's the problem. The rotten parts of the sunflower leaves are literally appearing every couple hours faster than I can cut them off.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone else? I'm fairly new on here apparently I registered a while ago but forgot about this. I really need some help this has been by far my toughest year in a decade

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone else? I'm fairly new on here apparently I registered a while ago but forgot about this. I really need some help this has been by far my toughest year in a decade
Im in SE MA zone 6b and this has been a “every problem” year.

My garden even though I was taking care of it turned on me and my lawn also back in 2020. So much so I abandoned the garden tore out the old beds and turned the whole mess under. Then I sent off soil samples.
My soil was a mess
To high PH for the berries
To low for the veggies
Almost a complete deficiency across the board even though I was bringing in compost and fertilizing.
My lawn same thing. Turns out the lime I apply every year was just enough to maintain the low PH I had.
Now 2022 - I have fungi, bugs, dry spots , damp spots and everything in between!

Maybe its time for some soil testing ?
Good luck and looking forward to your results..

Attachments

• D70C2BDE-A480-4EEB-82A5-6968796F3EA7.jpeg
    D70C2BDE-A480-4EEB-82A5-6968796F3EA7.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 2

Ask a Question