Looking for some gardening tips for a new mom.

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We've just recently moved, and being 9 months pregnant, I haven't really gotten our garden started yet. I really want to start gardening again once the baby is born. He'll be here so soon, so I'll probably be able to get a good two months or so of gardening in after his arrival. However, I'm kind of skeptical as to how I will balance gardening with nursing and taking care of a newborn. Has anyone been able to do this before? Do you have any tips for a new mom like me on how to make gardening still fun and relaxing, even with a newborn on hand? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Taking your baby out into the fresh air whilst you get the exercise your body will need (no offence meant) after carrying your child around for so long, seems ideal.

Protect your child from the sun, obviously.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When my first girl got to the toddling stage I found it easier to fence off the veg patch to stop her pulling everything up :)

Reaction score
I am a new mom myself and have been able to balance both, it's not always easy but it is possible. Luckily when babies are first born they sleep almost all the time. So what I did was take a stroller outside with me (one that has a cover to keep the sun out of babies eyes) and just garden while he or she sleeps. Then just keep a bag of things for the baby by your side for when the baby wakes up. You will be surprised how much you can still get done.

Reaction score
you could bring a bassinet out to the garden and put it in a shady spot. check often that they aren't getting too hot or too much sun. my daughter is crawling now so I just make sure the tools are out of her reach and let her play in the dirt next to me or ill pin her in on the back porch where is can see her. it helps that shes eating solids now and I can give her fruits and veggies to make a mess with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I'm currently eight months pregnant and I have to admit I never thought of things from this point of view. I'll be a new mom, so I know my attention will be more focused on baby for the next few months. I suppose it would be easier doing all the hard work during this stage of the proceedings: planting everything that needs to sprout before being transplanted, tilling and clearing the soil, getting in some extra bags of soil for those new projects, making sure the compost pile is all set. Once the baby gets born, it's going to be simple watering and trimming all the way.

Wow, I still have a lot to do before the baby gets born. I appreciate the other tips as well, will definitely be keeping them in mind.

Reaction score
First of all, congratulations about the little one!

Now, I think that gardening can actually be relaxing, and it will give your baby an opportunity to spend a bit of time outside in the fresh air as well. Just pick plants that are low-maintenance...that way, if you are too tired or don't have time to get out there every single day, your plants can kind of take care of themselves.

Reaction score
I do love Zig's idea of fencing off the child to stop plants from being pulled but it might not be practical for you. Finding the little one something to do that lets them feel like they are helping generally works well. The trick is to find that something.

Ask a Question