Looking for landscape ideas and thoughts.....

Reaction score
I have this strip of grass that I have been debating whether to get rid of it or not. It is a PITA to cut the grass due to the hill, even though it does not look that steep in the pics it is hard to keep form sliding down the hill with the lawn mower. I have pine trees growing on the lower side of the hill and my landscaping is on the other side. In the first pic you can see my rock wall which houses my bog for my pond. What I would like to do is put a path of some sort either a rock path similar to what I already have throughout the yard or something similar to a boardwalk. I always liked the way a boardwalk looked in some of the nature parks I have visited but don't really know if it is worth all the work and expense and not sure if the end result would fit in with the rest of the yard. The rock pathway is the cheapest money wise but also the most when it comes to the physical effort, as I would have to go rock hunting and haul them all in much like I did with my pond. I think the rock path would fit in with the rest of the yard and pond better but not really sure. Can't quite make up my mind. Now for the landscaping I was just thinking of transplanting / splitting some of my perennials and also get some seeds of perennials and wildflowers to put down. The hill faces North but it would get afternoon sun in the summer. Once the pine trees get bigger they would shade some of it, but by then I could just transplant the perennials that are sun loving to another part of the yard and plant more shade loving ones. Some of the perennials I have been thinking about is echinacea (there are so many varieties), black eye susans b/c I have a ton in my yard already, daisy's, gay-feather, and some lavender.

I also have to get rid of the grass and if anyone has any tried and true methods without spraying the whole area with roundup or digging it up let me know.

So I am looking for your thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

P1040841.JPG

P1040840.JPG

Reaction score
I vote for a rock path! I like the look of the stones that you have already and would try to match those. I've heard you can kill grass by covering it with cardboard held down with rocks for a couple of weeks and then it is easier to remove. I haven't tried that method but I have known many vegetable gardeners who use it to good effect each spring when they plant their overgrown beds.

Jed

Reaction score
Are you up to growing a crop of potatoes?
Place the potatoes on top of the severely cut lawn and heavily mulch with manure and straw..
A sure way to kill of grass and reap the rewards with kilos of organic potatoes that you can sell off at a premium price.:)

Reaction score
Hmmmm Jed that is an interesting idea that I could try planting some and see what happens. So are you saying that you don't bury the potatoes? Just place them on top and then mulch on top of that??/

Reaction score
yes I vote to get rid of the grass, all of the grass, I hate grass and it can be boring and not to mention it sucks watering and weeding it. I take out more grass every year, and putting in pathways of pressed woodchips, rocks and hardy plants. I got two large dogs and it is easier to pick up poo off woodchips than it is grass. My dogs love to run on the pathways I have already created and naturally follow the path now. I think more rocks would look very good. :

Jed

Reaction score
Hmmmm Jed that is an interesting idea that I could try planting some and see what happens. So are you saying that you don't bury the potatoes? Just place them on top and then mulch on top of that??/
That's correct.Closely mow or brushcut the lawn to the extent you are damaging it. Scoop out little holes a foot apart and in rows 2 foot apart. Manure up and cover with straw after planting in rows.
In that 50 x 6 foot area you could put in 3 rows 150 tubers or chits all up. That's a lot of potatoes. I planted 80 this year and it should supply me adequately and plenty to give away.If you can grow early potatoes and are frost free you probably could get a premium price for new seasons potatoes.
Here's a couple of links that may help...

http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Growing-potatoes-above-the-ground-France.html

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/04/07/how-to-kill-your-lawn-for-vegetable-gardening/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just my thought
With only 6ft to work with and the pines are going to keep growing
I would make a raised walk high enough on the high side to see what is going on in your yard
I would go higher than the rocks in the first picture , making the low side real high for the same cost
4 ft wide on the board walk , rails for sitting enjoyment , plant shade lovers under it

i had a pic of my raised walk but it wouldn't load up off my phone

Reaction score

Can one plant/grow potatoes so close to pine trees?? Forgive my ignorance about this, but I truly don't know the answer:oops: .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
potatos would not produce much and it is because of fine roots from pines and plus the potatos would be bitter .Also they are root plants and would almost have no room to grow and spread and need sun and moisture but not to much of either .I grow potato's in soil mixed with all the shredded mail that comes to my house with dirt to make it nice and loose and get potato's most of the winter doing it this way .

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice walkway. Your sculpture is also great. I just posted in another forum that vinager is a good weed killer. I have used it in the driveway between the cracks to get rid of the weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nice walkway. Your sculpture is also great. I just posted in another forum that vinager is a good weed killer. I have used it in the driveway between the cracks to get rid of the weeds.

Thanks pat
I made my birds out of scrap copper years ago

Reaction score
Nice rustic looking walkway.. I am reminded of a walkway I saw online.. Looked quite interesting and beautiful.. I was thinking it might look beautiful in the place of grass. These as you can see are ordinary stone slabs but painted with glow by night paint.
d274e607c07bc531daa66f116779b6c0.jpg

Ask a Question