Looking for a birdhouse for my wife

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a couple basic ones from Walmrt that a single wood screw goes through the back into the tree (and they come with eye screws to hang them). Finding a plumb flat spot to mount it can be a challenge on some trees. If you don't want theirs, I have seen birdhouses for sale at my local flea market from time to time, but unsure of how they were made to be mounted or hung.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tempted to say 'Don't be mean, let her come in with you' :)

I don't know about US birds, but in England we would adjust the size of opening depending what we wanted to attract

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know about US birds, but in England we would adjust the size of opening depending what we wanted to attract

People that know birds do that here but birdhouses from the store don't usually say what size hole it is or what the birdhouse is engineered for. The songbirds just didn't want to use the birdhouses I bought so I englarged the holes a little so now the swallows and bluebirds use them and all is well. Here is a link.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our swallow, the barn swallow, nests on flat surfaces, traditionally the beams in barns. Our robin, completely different from the US robin also likes an open nest, typically a robin nest box has three sides and a roof with the fourth side just coming up half way.

Ask a Question