Look at the size of this moth!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I had never seen anything so big. I think it's pretty, too.
100_5756.JPG

100_5760.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 3654
View attachment 3655
That is a medium sized variety of the Owl Moth. You don't see them very often. The big variety will reach 8" tip to tip and look just like the face of a hoot owl. I don't think that your pet devil's horse has much of a chance of having this moth for supper though

Reaction score
Beautiful moth! I actually like moths more than butterflies, at lest the Io moth! I found one back in 2010, it was huge and beautiful, it didn't fly away when I put it in my hand, it actually started walking around my arm! It flew away when my mom touched it a bit roughly.

Reaction score
That is a beautiful moth. The little praying mantis seems to be thinking 'Wow! that is a bit more than a mouthful!' Sphynx moths also get reather large as do luna moths. I have not seen a luna moth in years,,, the site of those pale green wings in the moonlight is just breathtaking.

Reaction score
Wow that is the first moth I have ever looked at that I didn't want to kill, it kind of looks like a butterfly. Maybe you discovered a new species! And prey mantis in the background is like "Enjoy it while it lasts, you are gonna die." Yeah hes just waiting for the moth to make a move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is huge. I would freak out if I saw a moth that big! We had a gigantic mantis fly in our house recently and even my husband was terrified because of how big it was.

Reaction score
View attachment 3654
View attachment 3655
Wow !!!! That is really incredible! I've never seen anything quite so big, it's beautiful really. I am always amazed at the things you find when you take the time to look. Florida is a wonderful place when it comes to being amazed by wildlife, insects and especially plants. Due to the hot climate we have a lot of creatures you won't see anywhere else. I have seen and learned a lot living here the past 10 years. God is pretty creative !!

Danyel :)

Ask a Question