Longleaf Pine Growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Earlier this spring I planted a longleaf pine in it's grass stage. Since I planted it, the needles have turned brown. I have trimed the dead needles and kept the buds that were on the grass. I have been watering every day since I planted it. And it is in a sunny spot Is there anything I can do to prevent this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Earlier this spring I planted a longleaf pine in it's grass stage. Since I planted it, the needles have turned brown. I have trimed the dead needles and kept the buds that were on the grass. I have been watering every day since I planted it. And it is in a sunny spot Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
I don't know much about pine trees but I do know that watering something every day that is in the ground is too much water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Its been pretty dry here so the soil hasn't been moist enough.
Have you dug down into the soil in which all of these trees are planted? I don't care how dry it is or has been dry, watering once a day is WAAAY too much. You should, when you water, water thoroughly and deeply. Then when the soil is dry on top to a depth of about 2 or 3 inches thoroughly water again. This will probably take a week to 10 days. An easy way to tell when to water any plant is to stick your pointing finger up to the knuckle into the soil and then blow on your finger. If it feels the slightest bit cool the plant does not need watering at that time. IMO you are drowning your trees. It is no wonder that the needles are turning brown and the other trees not budding. They are being starved of oxygen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It seems like the longleaf might of grown a little since I planted it. Like I said, I trimmed the dead needles, that which were still attached to the tree. Should the buds come up on the pine too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It seems like the longleaf might of grown a little since I planted it. Like I said, I trimmed the dead needles, that which were still attached to the tree. Should the buds come up on the pine too?
I am not familiar with the growth habits of pines. But I will tell you this: Whenever dead leaves stay attached to a tree it is not a good sign

Ask a Question