Long grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could i get some help identifying this long type grassy plant please and is there a weed killer that will remove it. It was turfed last year and now has this growing in this area. Much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20210302_160923.jpg
    20210302_160923.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the picture it looks like some sort of coarse grass. Plants with leaves where the veins in the leaves all run parallel are either some sort of grass or something like a lily, onion or narcissus where there is a bulb underneath, have you tried lifting a bit to see if there is a bulb? Where did you get your turf? Some suppliers are not too particular. The trouble with most selective weed killers is they rely on the shape of the grass leaf to slide off it, so they would slide off those leaves too. If it is coarse grass mowing it regularly would allow the better grasses to take over usually. My experience is that when people sow special grass seed that, unless they use a cylinder mower and treat the lawn with care, within four or five years the grass suited to the ground takes over. If you lift a plant and there are simply what look like grass roots underneath, no bulbs or corms, you could try simply slicing the 'turf' off with a spade after you have mown, turn it over to bury the 'weed', and sow some decent grass seed onto the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks a lot like an Allium. If that is what it is then it will be very difficult to get rid of. You will have to dig it up at least once and replace the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Foothill Sedge
Wick it between a couple of sponges lightly saturated with glyphosate concentrate mixed with water. 60 ml / liter of water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Foothill Sedge
Wick it between a couple of sponges lightly saturated with glyphosate concentrate mixed with water. 60 ml / liter of water.
Dingleberry is in the UK, so I doubt Foothill sedge, had to look that up. On the other hand the treatment sounds like it would work on most things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My question would be is it grass or spring bulbs? I’d put a spade in and see what you have there. If they are bulbs I’d dump them in a pot to see what type. I have a plethora of bulbs in my yard (grape and wild hyacinth, snow drops, fall crocus, tulips, star of Bethlehem, daffodils etc) that I never planted. I just weed them out or move them around depending on my mood.

Ask a Question