Liriope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Liriope, according to description, flowers in late summer, however my plant (which looks the part in every way) flowers in April/May and blooms expire by June and foliage droops (but still green). Is this a plant other than Liriope, or are there other characteristics that apply to this species?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_6415.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
This video also declares that Liriope looks like Grape Hyacinth flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That looks like the wild hyacinth (Russian or Spanish). The foliage will generally wilt totally. Because they are in my beds I pull and discard the tops. The bulbs are prolific and can be a nuisance in some gardens or a wonderful asset. They have been both in my garden.
FC8B124C-02BF-4674-9620-8CCF4638EF97.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be nice to have seen a close-up shot of the flowers, but I agree with Jewell.
These look like Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica) or a similar species in the Hyacinth Family (Hyacinthaceae, or alternatively, Scilloideae of Asparagaceae). Hyacinthoides hispanica is native to Spain and Portugal. The genus Hyacinthoides consists of twelve species, that range from the British Isles, western Europe to Italy, and northwestern Africa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a heathy bunch of Liriope, have had them for going on 30 years. Gave some away from the areas. If I remember I can take a shot of the flower--but later, then they form little berries which sometimes the birds eat. My only dislike of them, and you'd think they are dense enough, they let weeds grow up through them , so at a certain time of the summer I am casting my hand across the bunches pulling out what lands there weeds or the plant. And my last step of the final clean out of the garden they are in, is to grab the weed wacker and cut them all down to the quick which I did just two days ago, then rack all of it out. Then the fresh plant grows up nicely, lasted 30 years with that practice, and they just get wider and wider. So guess they are happy.

just went to check older photos, none there, guess to me not photo worthy .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another point to note about the photo in Post #3 is that the leaves appear to be dying back, like the deciduous leaves of a summer-dormant bulb. Liriope are evergreen. If they ever did lose leaves it would be during a very cold Winter, not in May.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texc16195

Latest Threads