Lily of the Valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for having me.
Having received Lily of the Valley plants by post yesterday I fear it's too early to plant them as we've no no greenhouse or conservatory;
our Isle of Wight climate is better than some, but all the same I don't want to risk losing them.
At present they're wrapped in damp kitchen roll in a plastic box... any advise on where to go from here would be gratefully received.
Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:happy: Lovely to welcome you to the forums @MrsPolly. We are in Kent, and the weather at the moment is glorious - much better than last year at this time.
Lily of the Valley is quite tough. As long as the ground is not frozen it will be fine to get them planted straight away. Lovely choice if I may say so - one of my favourites.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I quite fancy this variety.... haven't seen a pink one yet.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

As Tetters said, they're quite hardy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 50188I quite fancy this variety.... haven't seen a pink one yet.
Hi, thanks for having me.
Having received Lily of the Valley plants by post yesterday I fear it's too early to plant them as we've no no greenhouse or conservatory;
our Isle of Wight climate is better than some, but all the same I don't want to risk losing them.
At present they're wrapped in damp kitchen roll in a plastic box... any advise on where to go from here would be gratefully received.
Cheers!
:happy: Lovely to welcome you to the forums @MrsPolly. We are in Kent, and the weather at the moment is glorious - much better than last year at this time.
Lily of the Valley is quite tough. As long as the ground is not frozen it will be fine to get them planted straight away. Lovely choice if I may say so - one of my favourites.
Thank you Tetters and Zigs, I was planning to plant in a container as some planted in the garden seem to decrease in number each year; p'raps if I wrap bubblewrap around the pot I'd be ok? Can't say I'm wild about the pink variety but maybe they'll grow on me... ouch,sorry!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
welcome MrsPolly(y) & yes as tetters & Zigs suggest just plant them now they are tuff little plants & will be fine popped straight in the ground now :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my query re Lily-of-the -Valley you might be interested to know that of the 25 pips oh so carefully planted just 4 came up, producing 1 flower; not quite what I'd hoped. At least I got my money back. I now pin my hopes on a friend planning to thin out her garden... heigh ho...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Further to my query re Lily-of-the -Valley you might be interested to know that of the 25 pips oh so carefully planted just 4 came up, producing 1 flower; not quite what I'd hoped. At least I got my money back. I now pin my hopes on a friend planning to thin out her garden... heigh ho...
Nice to try new and see what hsppens!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
At a garden center I saw some containers that had about three lily of the valley plants in each container for sale. Is it necessary to plant numerous lily of the valley together?

Ask a Question