Lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So I think I have decided to do mostly lilies in my front yard with a new mix of annuals each year. If I plant Lilies in spring will they bloom at all this year or will I have to wait until next year? They magazine has them in the catalog now, but that doesn't mean much of anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I don't know much about planting the bulbs for lilies but my daffodils came up the following spring. I usually buy my lilies from a lady at a flea market that I go to every year. They are usually ready to bloom or have some flowering on them and I just plant them. I like to be able to enjoy my flowers right away. The waiting gets to me. This year I should have plenty of lilies and daffodils :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It depends on the lily. Easter lilies you would obviously expect to be in bloom in early spring, but others bloom later like agapanthas and day lilies. Also, it really depends on the climate where you live and if the lilies in question are native. Check around with the local nurseries where you are to see if they have mature bulbs available that will bloom this season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was going to order some stargazer lilies. They are my favorite. I suppose it does not matter much when they will bloom as long as I get them in the ground. I will plant annuals this year, so there will be color in the garden. It's going to be great to get some pretty things in that plot of land.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Lilies are wonderful.
The best £1 I ever spent in gardening was 15 years ago when I bought a pack of 3 yellow Asiatic lily bulbs.
I have given many that I have propagated away, and have a wonderful show each July.
Having said that, I would not restrict myself to lilies, because they are so short-lived.
If you plant only lilies, you'll have a spectacular show for 2-3 weeks, and nothing the rest of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All asiatic lilies I have gotten always bloom the first year. Lilies are interesting because unlike some bulbs they never go truly dormant and will regrow bulbs from the bulb scales. The only difficulties I have had was from slugs/snails which love many varieties, especially Stargazers. If you have these critters growing lilies in large pots with good potting soil really helps monitoring. I've kept lilies in pots for years as well as in the ground. Mine are always bigger and better in pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lilium x 'Fusion'
The parentage of this hybrid lily fascinates me. It is the first cross between the Leopard Lily (Lilium pardalinum) of western North America, and the Easter Lily (Lilium longiflorum) from Taiwan and the Ryukyu Islands. I am going get a bulb and try to grow it.

62907.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what my lilies are, they all came free, either from other gardeners or from pots chucked away in skips, but I really enjoy them. Most are White, but I have a beautifully scented light blue one as well. The problem here is lily beetle, these bright red beetles not only attack the lily themselves but lay eggs on the underside of the leaves where their larvae pump ut a stick mess to protect themselves. This is a new phenomena in Britain, some careless person imported them a few years back, and I wonder if you have them in the States? They show up brightly on the plant, but if you try to catch them they drop off, turn upside down on the ground, and vanish. If you carefully work the stalk between your fingers below them they drop straight into your hand, but you need to catch them quickly, and then they are tough little b*****s that need a thumb nail to crush them, or they simply run off.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Leopard Lily Care and Growing Guide​

Leopard Lily is a popular houseplant in the U.S. It's also commonly known as Dumb Cane due to its shape and the ability to cause speechlessness if eaten. This plant is native to the Caribbean and tropical South America, but thrives in various climates. It has large leaves that are usually green or variegated with white stripes or spots; it can grow anywhere from three to ten feet tall. The flowers are insignificant; this plant is usually grown for foliage display purposes only.

Last edited:

Ask a Question