Lilac Bush

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I have a lilac bush in my front yard and when the season starts to change from summer to fall should I prune this bush? I have been told before that if you cut the dead flower area off, then next year this part won't have flowers on it. I guess the old flower part helps to create new branches. What is the ideal way to prune this bush and the best time to do it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I just prune the tops down some and in the fall cut back any deadwood so new branches will come in. Truly I don't think that it makes a difference as far as causing less of a bloom. To me it seems the weather plays more of a part. i have had years when the rain was not enough or it got cold fast and the blooms died off. That year the flowers would be sparse and small. Last spring I had a nice full bloom. One thing I did do was also pruned back anything that didn't have leaves in the spring before the flowers opened but were budded.

But do cut them back. Especially if you live in a snow area because heavy snow will damage them otherwise. It can bend and break the branches making the bush less pleasing shape wise.

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I just prune the tops down some and in the fall cut back any deadwood so new branches will come in. Truly I don't think that it makes a difference as far as causing less of a bloom. To me it seems the weather plays more of a part. i have had years when the rain was not enough or it got cold fast and the blooms died off. That year the flowers would be sparse and small. Last spring I had a nice full bloom. One thing I did do was also pruned back anything that didn't have leaves in the spring before the flowers opened but were budded.

But do cut them back. Especially if you live in a snow area because heavy snow will damage them otherwise. It can bend and break the branches making the bush less pleasing shape wise.
I do live in an area where we get a very heavy covering of snow. I will definitely cut back any branches that I see that don't have any leaves on them this spring, and right before winter next year I will trim back any dead that I see so that the snow won't damage it. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut lilac flower branches every year to bring the sensual scent inside, and haven't noticed any less branches the year after. I think pruning out the dead branches are best to keep it healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Interesting! I was always told that one should cut each dead flower off, to prevent the plant from expending energy to grow the seeds. I have done this will no ill-effects. I also feel like it keeps the plant looking nicer too, but that may just be my opinion. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that pruning is only necessary for shaping. Well, that and to remove and dead parts as mentioned above. Depending on the age and size of your bush you will want to prune carefully, because if you cut it too much you can affect future growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I personally cut away unruly branches and dead areas. Other than that I leave it alone save for a clipping now and then to use as part of my floral decor when it's in bloom, but not very often.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Growing up, we had a lilac bush on the side of our house. It was always full of blooms each spring. I remember my mother cutting a bunch, and wrapping them in wet paper towels and then tin foil, so I could take them to school for my teacher. They always smelled so heavenly.

She never did anything to the bush - it was pretty much on it's own, other than cutting some of the flowers to bring inside. It was probably 10-15 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide. I think they are pretty much self-sufficient when it comes to things like pruning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I have a California Lilac on the side of my house where I've xeriscaped to a degree. I'm just going to let mine grow natural like it would in the wild and hopefully it won't out grow the space. Odd thing is there is no scent to mine, it bloomed beautifully though. I think this is it's 2nd year or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a California Lilac on the side of my house where I've xeriscaped to a degree. I'm just going to let mine grow natural like it would in the wild and hopefully it won't out grow the space. Odd thing is there is no scent to mine, it bloomed beautifully though. I think this is it's 2nd year or so.
If you got a hybrid, it may not have a scent. When they "breed" plants for certain traits, like color or size, a lot of times they lose other traits, like scent. The plant my mother had was an old, "heirloom" bush, with the typical medium purple blooms. I remember it from when I was in grade school back in the '60s and it was probably 10-20 years old by that time.

Ask a Question