Lights that beautify the garden

Reaction score
I always adore gardens with lights. Lights add charm and character to it, and in fact, is one of the pieces that define it. The proper installation of lights and the proper location add to the overall appeal of the garden. Depending on the set-up, lights can easily transform the mood of the entire garden. In day time, it may look like just a beautiful garden, but as the night progress and the lights are lit, the place either be romantic, it can be more calming, it can make it look like bigger, or can highlight a certain spot to make the eyes focus on it more. Aside from simply providing light, garden lights play a major role in making the garden more pleasant to be in.

I envy people who own gardens with lights. I still do not have the budget for it and one of my projects this year is to have some nice lights installed in it. What I have for the meantime are plain bulbs to just provide light there. Aside from saving up for it, I also need to search on reputable installers who have the complete know-how of garden lights.

solar-lights-garden-4.jpg

garden%20lighting%20033.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love gardens with lights, they always look so romantic - and also a little mysterious. But I prefer when the light is very subtle and has a warm tone. This decoration looks very lovely:

Garden+lights+landscape+7.jpg

If you can't afford garden lamps nor lanterns, you can always use candles for a very special evening. I would love to throw a garden party like this:

fariasdinnerinthegarden016.jpg

Reaction score
The second picture you posted is really romantic! It looks like a romantic dinner in a garden set-up, Reminds me of my project which is to have lights in the garden.. maybe when all is done and there are dainty lights already, every once in a while we can have romantic dinner there, me and my husband. That would be really sweet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine those lanterns in the first photo are so cute!

@Cookieangel, I envy people with beautifully landscaped gardens! I'll get there one day!

I think this garden lighting is gorgeous!

lantern.jpg

The effect of the luminaries along this path is also very pretty

garden-lanterns.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I love the first picture you posted, it looks wonderful!
This is pretty too, isn't it?

Romantic-Chic-Lighting-Garden-Design-Ideas-from-Laurie-Lumi%C3%A8re.jpg

I love how these enormous trees are decorated with lanterns:

romantic-lighting-fixtures-layouts-580x386.jpg

And here is something easy to make:

CandleTreeDiy.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
These pictures give me ideas to work toward. I love the picture with the lights around the pool area.

Solar lights in the garden is always an alternative to corded lights and candles. We we have several strings of holiday lights strung on the deck. I does look nice at night when you look through the windows.

Reaction score
kind of a simple thing, but i used some of those solar path lights, and stuck them in some of the flower pots around my deck. mostly in the pots that are on the stairs to help light them. i did the same with pots that line my front door stairs. been a few years though. i need to replace a lot of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not all solar lights are created equal. My mom has some solar lights that are wired together like Xmas lights and the bulb covers are shaped like roses. They are really cool and they give off a lot of light. I would love to have a bunch of those around my yard. She has another solar light that is in a patio lamp post and it barely gives off a glow at night. The roses have a switch so that they only glow when you turn them on.

@Claudine, you'd love the roses! I saw another simple light for the garden made from a wine bottle with the bottom cut off. You just turn it upside down on a stick and put a candle inside.

Reaction score
Some really great ideas here. I never even considered doing something creative with lighting. The best I would have ever thought would be to turn on the spotlight. Or, get some of those cheap solar walkway lights that never really seem to last long for other people (that's why I've never gotten any). But these ideas can really work.

I like the usage of the light strings. That certainly better than just leaving Christmas lights outside all year round, looking ugly.

Does the cost of using Christmas-type string lights add much to the electricity bill (I would put them on a timer so they wouldn't be on all night). I've never used any so I don't know how it effects the electricity bill.

I think the solar lights end up paying for themselves if they last a good while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not a big fan of solar lights to be honest. Usually, they have this weird, green color - it reminds me of ghosts and in my opinion it looks rather creepy:p I prefer traditional candles with warm light, they create such a romantic atmosphere.
For example, I love this decoration, I'm sure it would make my garden look magical:

stylowi_pl_wnetrza_814397.jpg

Reaction score
I love the idea of lights in the garden. I can never seem to pull off things as well as some people can, though. I would try to mimic one of these pictures, and somehow my yard would end up looking crazy. :/

Reaction score
The photos shared by all of you are beautiful and inspiring :). I plan to put some glow in the dark jars in my garden in replace of lights. I got the idea after I chance upon this Youtube video:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, these fairy glow jars are a great idea:D , I've never seen anything like this. I still prefer more traditional lights though.
These on the right look magical, don't they?:

b_8_22416.jpg

Here are cute, miniature lanterns, you just need a very small jar, a candle and a ribbon to make one:

swieczkiW.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of solar lights to be honest. Usually, they have this weird, green color - it reminds me of ghosts and in my opinion it looks rather creepy:p I prefer traditional candles with warm light, they create such a romantic atmosphere.
For example, I love this decoration, I'm sure it would make my garden look magical:
Claudine .. I have solar lights... None of them are green or ghostly looking. It depends on the bulbs you use. I have milky white lights and I love them. I really love solar lights as they don't cost me anything to keep them going. I wish I could get more of them. If they were on some kind of sale I would pick a huge bunch of them. I know would need them in my dream home :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll look for white solar lights then:) . So far I found only weird green ones - and I'm not too fond of green light.
I would love to have something like this in my garden:

cotswoldoutdoorcandles.jpg

This looks like something from a fairy tale, I love it:

Favim.com-3864.jpg

Ask a Question