Lights for indoor plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone using lights to supplement the growth of their indoor plants? LED lights are growing in popularity because of their energy efficiency, also induction and HID/HPS lights are effective. If you have tried any of these lights please share your experience.

Reaction score
You can check the...General Gardening Talk Forum...

There is a thread there similar to your thread... you can get an idea there when it comes to your inquiries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We want to shift to LED lights for the economy in electricity. However, the cost of LED lights is almost 6 times that of the regular CFL so we hesitated. Based on our computation, LED can get even with the CFL after 5 years of use. What if it gets busted before 5 years? It's a huge investment so we are on status quo.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do use lights to help keep my indoor plants healthy during the winter as the house has more shadows with less light coming in. I put the plants in one area with the light on all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have two spots in the house where I use a basic shop light (florescent lights) with either regular bulbs or daylight bulbs when I can find them. The trick is to find the "k" number, or Kelvins, in the right spectrum. The special plant lights aren't worth much and most the time you are better off with regular florescent light bulbs as they tend to be in the 4,000k range. Natural daylight registers between 5,0000 and 7,000, with most "daylight" bulbs marked as 5,000k. The plant lights claim they are only colors plants can see, although from what I've seen are only 2,000-3,000k.

I've also used single daylight bulbs in regular lamps to give sprouts a boost where needed. These work wonderful for individual plants, but not full spreads or more than one pot.

Ask a Question