LIGHT REQUIREMENTS etc.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since joining the forum I have been reading more about various plants and the environments they prefer. The problem I'm having is trying to remember what each plant likes. How do all of you keep track of this and how can I know if there is enough light for my orchid or enough water etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have not learned all the plant likes and dislikes here either. I find myself learning from a baseline, a certain pH, certain quantity of moisture, a basic fertilizing program, a basic insect control program and I deviate from there. Clematis likes a higher pH but my soil is 5.5 so I add lime. My blueberries like acid so they get the acid lovers food. I think its just focusing in on one plant and learning about it and then moving to the next. You just remember them as you go along. Somethings really help, like trying to identify plants for people on this website. The research is very educational. Thus, when you go to look up your own plants, you have even more tools in the wheelbarrow so to speak.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome! Don’t drive yourself crazy. Gardening is supposed to be fun and even people who have been gardening for YEARS ( like me!) make mistakes. For instance I worked in an azalea nursery for 20 years, I was a florist and dealt with both indoor and outdoor plants for another 20 years, am a certified Master Gardener and have gardened the majority of my life. I still learn something everyday and just recently realized my hydrangea was planted in the wrong spot! For the life of me, I seem to kill every azalea or rhododendron I plant.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're so right, there will be mistakes. I am hoping to correct some of the mistakes I have made. Trying to grow one healthy spider plant , instead of the 16 spindly ones I have now. Now that I am retired I have time to try again and maybe make new mistakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You're so right, there will be mistakes. I am hoping to correct some of the mistakes I have made. Trying to grow one healthy spider plant , instead of the 16 spindly ones I have now. Now that I am retired I have time to try again and maybe make new mistakes.
Or relax and see the beauty of the interactions of plants and their environment?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
NH growing season, not great but you do have time to get in some great winter style squash, sweet corn and the like. Native plants like blue berries, Or something interesting like hops.

Ask a Question