Lift with your knees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this today and it's an excellent way to illustrate the importance of the correct way to lift - ie hold it close to your body and lift with your knees. With spring just around the corner I thought it could be a helpful reminder... ;)

Lift with your knees!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can we have a pic of you doing that please? This will help ENORMOUSLY!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I injured my back once by not lifting a heavy object correctly; it took years for it to heal, because it involved connective tissue which can take a long time to heal. It's a major reason why I now lift weights, I think lifting weights is just as crucial to overall body health as cardio exercise, just look at how many old people are walking around with limps or can't bend over...Unfortunately so many think that this is just a normal part of aging -- so very wrong.

Lifting heavy things takes practice and it also can take some effort in increasing your flexibility in order to get into the correct position.

I learned to pick up heavy things from the experts -- Weight lifters. Deadlifting is one of the best ways to learn the proper way to pick up things and it's one of my most important exercises, along with squats.

Here's just one video of proper deadlifting. The problem most people make is forcing the back to lift the weight, but you gotta train the whole body to lift it, once you get the technique down it's easy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
THE MIGHTY WOODEN MAN..........Great Video Becky & Well illustrated &Thanks for sharing :) I'm Regularly Asked to Move Impossible Objects & Hate the thought of injuries......... Just Yesterday had to move some vary large pots so I could get a ladder to a old cottage roof and remove Jasmine that was trying to move in under the Tiles and rapping round a Chimney breast. Gardens are lovely things but it is also a well worth Remembering How easy it is to Be seriously Hurt in one (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can we have a pic of you doing that please? This will help ENORMOUSLY!

I'm not allowed to lift anything at the moment ;) Well, apart from this cup of tea right now :D :coffee:

My father-in-law has always had back problems, and I'm always nagging him to lift with his knees. I caught him once lifting a heavy box and told him to lift with his knees, and he replied "I am!!" - his back was literally flat as he was bent over the box, but because his knees were slightly bent he thought he was doing it right :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Unfortunately so many think that chronic disease and reduced mobility is a fact of aging, but that is so wrong. Furthermore we're told that low-impact cardio exercise and diet are what's needed to combat the effects of aging -- WRONG.

Our bodies need impact, we were designed for handling impact, but in our modern lives we must build the body back up for dealing with impact. Especially since we naturally start losing muscle mass around the age of 30.

I've been a cyclist since the mid-80's and now I know many aging cyclists who can still ride, but off the bike they suffer from much the same aging problems as sedentary people, especially with mobility and knee/back pains.

I attribute this to lack of resistance/strength training; cardio is great, but it's only half the solution to successful aging. You can not ignore the musculoskeletal system.

Don't use it, you lose it...

Ask a Question