LEYLANDII DIE BACK (?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that my question / request is virtually "how long is a piece of string" and that any answer can only be very general. However, anything will be of help. My hope is that this sort of problem has been experienced by yourselves in the past and that you can give an educated guess as to the cause and, hopefully, a suggest course of action.

The photos give a distant to close up view of the problem with my garden being the one on the right with the two holly trees in the foreground.

Some facts:

* my hedge is to the right in the photo
* my neighbour's hedge is more open as it had been allowed to grow wild before being trimmed several years back
* the entire length of the hedge was trimmed in March (as it is every year)
* no ground works have taken place in the vicinity of the roots
* no fires have been lit in the vicinity of the hedge
* the garden is in the G73 area of Glasgow

Any help, advice or information will be gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• Die Back Damage.jpeg
    Die Back Damage.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Close up.jpeg
    Close up.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome ThomThom. :)

Has the browning been a slow process or appeared fairly quickly? It could be a pest attack such as aphids which is easy to solve. If it's dieback then you are likely to lose the whole hedge. Leylandii tends not to replace it's branches when the brown ones are pruned out. Another option is to remove the affected tree before the browning spreads and replace it, but there's no guarantee that will solve the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome ThomThom. :)

Has the browning been a slow process or appeared fairly quickly? It could be a pest attack such as aphids which is easy to solve. If it's dieback then you are likely to lose the whole hedge. Leylandii tends not to replace it's branches when the brown ones are pruned out. Another option is to remove the affected tree before the browning spreads and replace it, but there's no guarantee that will solve the problem.
Thank you Sheal. I would say that it has taken about three months to reach this stage. Have you any suggested insecticide that I could try ? I guess it’s going to be a sizeable quantity that I will need to treat this area. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
In three months it could be aphids, they are not always easy to see. It would be worthwhile checking the trunk to see if there are any other issues like fungus. I've posted this link for you to read which may help....

Ask a Question