Leyland Cypress turned brown/yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my Leyland Cypress tree has turned yellow and i don’t really know what to do, or where to start. I know it’s not a watering problem as it’s definitely not under watered or over watered. Could this be fungi or bugs? What do you recommend I do first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here are photos to show what I mean:
A0F3A400-8DBE-43E3-8966-D17CB39F015B.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F8A2754-B679-4B29-87FE-0C2C3C8C106A.jpeg
    6F8A2754-B679-4B29-87FE-0C2C3C8C106A.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

I must be directly contradictory here. It is (was) a watering problem. At some point, this topiary was very under-watered or very over-watered, perhaps both. What you can do now is chop it up and use it for mulch, or just shove it in your green waste bin.

If the rootball never drained properly or never even wetted properly, and nobody noticed, that is still over-watering or under-watering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

I must be directly contradictory here. It is (was) a watering problem. At some point, this topiary was very under-watered or very over-watered, perhaps both. What you can do now is chop it up and use it for mulch, or just shove it in your green waste bin.

If the rootball never drained properly or never even wetted properly, and nobody noticed, that is still over-watering or under-watering.
Thank you so much for your quick response! The main reason why we didn’t think it was a watering problem is because we have a 2nd tree next to it (exactly the same) in the same kind of pot and we’ve watered them the same amount (the rootball has the same drainage, which looks good) and this 2nd tree is absolutely fine.

I guess we’ll have to bin it and try again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is odd when two seemingly identical plants behave differently. Sometimes a rootball will begin to repel water. This happens especially often with peat-based soil blends. If noticed in time, the solution is to completely soak the rootball overnight in a bucket, weighing it down if necessary. Anyway, I am sorry about your loss.

Ask a Question